Vol. 4 Chapter 2: Conversation with Ayanokoji

[Ayanokoji Pov]

[October 13th]

"What do you intend to do, Horikita? Are you going to tell Kurushima about it? What about Kushida's betrayal at the Sports Festival? He knows of someone betraying us, just not who. He is probably investigating it on his own, currently."

"No, I'll deal with Kushida on my own. I'll bring her to work together with the class, no matter what. If I were to involve him, she'd get troubled. And knowing him, he'd tell our classmates about her."

Although Kushida was, in terms of the information network, very valuable to us, Kurushima had one, too, with an almost similarly large one.

Of course, people see him more as a threat than Kushida, so he's not getting much information, if it's regarding the Special exams. Kushida in return, could.

She had her value, but... if she's sabotaging our class, then she's entirely useless. I'll make a couple of preparations for having her expelled, if it has to be.

"You seem confident. Do you happen to have an idea how to deal with her?"

"I think... I might," she muttered.

"If you say so, I'll leave it to you, then." I tried to walk away, until I felt her holding my sleeves.

"Are you not interested in knowing why Kushida wants to expel me? Where do I know her from?" she asks.

"I am. But are you interested in sharing that information with me?"

"Kind of. In return, I want to know something in return."

"If it's about my past, as I already told you, I won't tell you anything about it."

"That's not it. It's about Y, or however you and Ryūen refer to them. Do you have any progress regarding your investigations, yet?"

"Not quite. I'm in the same spot as Ryūen, because I believe it might be someone from Ichinose's Class."

"Surely, you have figured out more than just that, do you?"

"It's not as easy as it sounds, Horikita. There are no traces of Y, besides these two Anagrams. Ichinose's class, it's where it all happened. It's quite difficult to imagine that someone else from another Class could go unseen by everyone, at all, sneak it inside Ichinose's class without anyone noticing, and return, like usual."

Even for me, it'd be quite a difficult thing to do so. That person would have to need insights into their habits, know when they sleep, or be in there, itself, as it's someone from there, who put the Anagrams there.

I know where Ryūen is coming from. After all, someone who's able to do this, without being present in Ichinose's class is quite the dangerous opponent, who was able to pull off such a stunt while remaining completely hidden.

But it is not impossible...

I asked Sensei whether she saw something strange, like someone appearing in Class B's tent, from Ryūen's Class, Sakayanagi's Class, or our Class, but there was nothing suspicious for her, after all.

I knew she wasn't hiding it from me, since Sensei also wanted to achieve Class A and was ready to threaten me for it, so she would tell me of a threat, if there was someone, behind the Shadows.

If Y isn't in Ichinose's Class, they're even far more dangerous...

"Besides, we don't even know their gender, at all. The list of suspects is too high, Horikita. Although Ryūen seems to believe out of some reason it's a guy, and I suspect, Y contacted him, at least once, after the Exam."