.nine.

"Keep your eyes open." Sarah said as she tapped a pale finger with a perfectly painted black nail on the end of my nose.

The boys had asked Sarah to come over to our room and help me get ready for the day. Chris had begged me to not be scared of Sarah before she arrived because she's human like me. And he kept saying 'she's female and I'm not'. I get it. She's a girl, I'm a girl. I still had a heart attack-or as Ricky called it, a freak out-when she came over. If that's even what happens to me when my chest feels tight and my heart goes crazy. Sarah is very pretty with soft, pale skin, long wavy black hair with straight bangs across her forehead, and light olive green colored eyes. She has a cute button nose and her mouth is small and pouty. She was dressed in tight grey jeans and a black shirt with Honey Revenge written in large white letters in the middle of the chest. Sarah is also very nice. I liked her. But I still felt safest with Chris.

I opened my eyes and looked over at Chris as he walked into the bathroom, arms folded across his chest, "I don't think we can check out of our rooms without getting mobbed."

Sarah raised an eyebrow and turned to look at Chris, an open bottle of foundation in her left hand and a black egg sponge in the right, "Okay? What's your point?"

Chris looked at me, which made Sarah look at me as well. I bit on the left side of my bottom lip. "How can we protect Melody? I'm not going to make her wear a collar like some kind of animal, but I'm afraid-"

"Give her a blood transfusion. Justin gave me one and that's why immortals leave me alone. I have the scent of a vampire, yet I'm human, which basically lets everyone know I'm not to be trifled with. It's usually only done to humans belonging to the rich immortals, or their human friends they brought into this realm to turn them immortal." Sarah said as she started to dab the black sponge on my face again.

Chris sighed as he leaned back onto the white tiled bathroom wall, "You don't think fans will attack her because she's close to us?"

Sarah set the foundation and the sponge down on the white, tiled, counter top and picked up a brush and what she called an eyeshadow palette. She dipped the brush into light brown circle before she lifted the brush, with the color on it, up, "Close your eyes but don't squint them."

I did what she said quickly. I tried not to squeeze my eyes as I felt the brush touching my eyelid.

"You think someone is going to try to kidnap her just because she is with you?" Sarah asked. She kept moving the brush over my eyelid and then moved over to my other eyelid.

"It's happened before." Chris said in monotony.

I felt my chest get tighter at the way he said that. He sounded like he was sad, like he did this morning before we went to sleep. I was afraid to open my eyes while Sarah was still dabbing the brush on them. But I didn't want Chris to be sad.

"No sadness."

I felt Chris' long, cold, fingers wrap around my right hand, his thumb grazing the back of my hand to comfort me, "I'm not sad, Melody. You came into my life and just scared the sadness away from me. Sadness is afraid of you."

"You were sad last night." I said, recalling how Ricky's words made Chris talk in the same monotone voice. Chris took in a deep breath before sighting loudly, "Certain memories can bring me great sadness, sadness that consumes me from the inside and suffocates me with a tight grip. It happened a long time ago, kitten, and it doesn't come around me much anymore."

"Did you just call her kitten?" Sarah asked.

I squeezed Chris' hand. I will do whatever I have to to make sure these memories don't surface because I do not want Chris to feel any sadness. I will do anything to scare the sadness away from Chris. Chris gave a chuckle, "I did call her kitten. It's her nickname."