Chapter Thirty-Seven

Seokjin stared at Taehyung, who was sitting next to him Indian style on the couch, noticing how the younger was fidgeting with his fingers and biting his bottom lip, probably mentally preparing himself to speak about the topic of the conversation with his father that morning. Talking to Hongseok had already been difficult for Taehyung and Seokjin could see how the other was doing his best not to cry, but in that instant, it was clear the younger was on the verge of tears. Seokjin suspected the matter was a lot more serious than he initially thought which, once again, made him reconsider Taehyung's decision of letting him and Jungkook hear what he wanted to say.

"Taehyung, if you don't feel comfortable sharing the subject of the conversation while I'm here, I understand" Seokjin spoke softly, grabbing Taehyung's attention "It's a personal matter and it's related to your family, so I can step outside for a moment..."

"Seokjin is right, Tae, you know I cherish you, but this is about your private life..." Jungkook added, as he gazed at Taehyung, who was glancing between him and Seokjin with big and doe eyes "Just say the word and Seokjin and I will give you the privacy to talk with your brother, Yoongi and Seunghee"

"I-I didn't tell you to leave because both of you are trustworthy and are part of my life, part of Yoongi's life, part of my brother's life, and I'm certain they don't mind you being present for this conversation..." Taehyung mumbled, not wanting either Jungkook or Seokjin to leave, especially Seokjin, who lately had been there for him, helping him deal with his chaotic life. He averted his attention to Namjoon and Yoongi, who nodded in agreement, knowing his best friend wanted Jungkook by his side, the news he was about to disclose wasn't only going to harm Namjoon, it was going to harm Yoongi as well because he was family to him "With that said, I-I guess, I-I should finally disclose what my father and I discuss this morning..."

Taehyung hesitated for a moment and tried his best to take a deep breath, however, tears immediately began to roll down his cheeks.

Seokjin went to the inside pocket of his blazer and pulled out the handkerchief the younger had given him that morning while hearing him crying helplessly. He carefully placed his hand on Taehyung's shoulder as he extended his arm, offering him the handkerchief for him to clean his tears, but the younger refused by shaking his head.

"Take it, Taehyung, you need it more than me right now..."

Seokjin gazed at Taehyung, who was asleep next to him with his head against his shoulder and with one of his hands tightly gripping the sleeve of his dress shirt, not being able to forget about the state the younger had been earlier while explaining the conversation he had with his father, who, apparently, insistently kept coming back when it was one of his son's birthdays. He noticed Taehyung's reddish and puffy cheeks, his brows furrowed and his uneven breathing and felt his hand squeezing his arm from time to time, it seemed, even in his sleep, the younger wasn't capable of resting properly after the hardships he had to endure throughout that day. As he observed the sleeping male, Seokjin pondered about the information previously unveiled by Taehyung and, he believed it was shocking how the younger and Namjoon's stepmother could change her mind so lightly about having children in such a short time, especially when before coming to that realisation she wanted to abort Hoseok.

Seokjin didn't blame Taehyung for being extremely upset with the situation and he, now, more than ever, regretted the words he professed to the younger that fateful day when he accused him of possibly being violent towards children and how Hoseok was better off with his parents. He spoke out of frustration and clearly, he was mistaken regarding Taehyung, the stubborn and quirky younger, despite having his flaws, he was the right person to raise his brother.