Chapter Forty-Nine

The small group was gathered in the piano room while sitting on the beige curved sectorial sofa as they listened to Hoseok cheerfully singing along with Jimin, who was also playing the piano. The piano room had a different aesthetic from the rest of the house, it served as a sacred and relaxed place where Seokjin used to find a refugee when he stayed over when his grandparents still lived at the mansion. It was something private, but, in the past, every time he felt overwhelmed with the responsibilities that were waiting for him as the future heir of the Kim family or he was frustrated and annoyed with his father's behaviour and demands, Seokjin found himself in that exact piano room, playing tunes on the grand and shiny black piano, hoping the sweet yet random melodies would bring him peace of mind and wash away his troubling thoughts.

At some point, Seokjin viewed his musical education as a blessing

At some point, Seokjin viewed his musical education as a blessing. Like Jungkook saw the gym as a way to free his frustrations and release some leftover energy, for him, personally, playing the piano was his way to let go of negative emotions. However, playing the piano reminded him of all the bad moments he endured growing up. One of the memories Seokjin still had vividly in his mind was the day his father discovered that he preferred men as partners to women. That day, Seokjin was so enraged that he almost broke the piano because, for the first time in his life, he didn't find comfort in music like he used to so, he distanced himself from that room, avoiding it as much as he could, even when Jimin had his piano lessons with Yoongi.

When Jimin requested him and the rest of the group to go to the piano room, Seokjin truly felt uneasy and the moment he got closer to the piano room, he was immediately hit with nostalgia and completely froze in place. The dark-haired male never shared his feelings regarding this issue with anyone and his nervousness was transparent for Taehyung, who gazed at him with concern, but quickly flashed his beautiful boxy smile and gave him his hand. At that instant, Seokjin finally understood what the younger male meant when he stayed with him that weekend – allowing Taehyung to hold on to him drove him to recall memories of the most important people in his life, comforting and helping him calm down when he had a difficult time handling a gruesome storm. It seemed like Taehyung's touch and reassurance through his simple yet loving gesture brought back the most pleasant memories that unfolded inside of that room, like the time he was able to compose and write a song by himself, a song he hadn't shared with anyone, not even his mother or grandmother.

As the room resonated with the sweet sound of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and the joyous voices from Jimin and Hoseok filled the air, Seokjin slowly released himself from the terrible memories and replaced them with the moment he was relishing currently, not letting his upsetting past ruin his mood. When Jimin told him he had a surprise for him and Jungkook, Seokjin wasn't expecting his son to play the song as a way to demonstrate the progress he was making in his piano lessons. Since he didn't pay much attention to Jimin before, the dark-haired male forgot how Jimin had made a promise to Jungkook which consisted of him playing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" on the piano after being more skilled. Discreetly, Seokjin glimpsed around the room, observing how everyone was smiling and silently commenting on the magnificent performance and the positive reactions made him feel even prouder of Jimin and his determination to succeed.