World Of Blocks

Me and the others spiralled down the stained-glass esque portal, the millions of voices echoing through my ears. I looked to my friends, hoping I hadn't lost any of them. Ralph was holding Vanellope close to his chest, though the little racer obviously wanted to be freed. Jenny, meanwhile, was doing better than the rest of us, as she had her wings deployed, giving her the balance she needed. She looked at me and glided over.

"Need a hand?" She asked, offering a hand. I gladly accepted it as Gladius sheathed himself down the back of my shirt while Jenny helped me onto her back. I looked around in wonder, now that everything wasn't a dizzying blur of colours.

"I'm impressed you're able to keep stable, Jenny", Gladius said. Jenny coasted down and grabbed hold of Ralph, who looked up at Jenny gratefully.

"Meh, it happens when you're flying everywhere", She said with a shrug, "This is nothing." Vanellope took this as her chance to glitch out of Ralph's grasp and next to me.

"This is awesome!" Vanellope cheered, before exploding into a fit of giggles. "After being stuck in Sugar Rush for so long, I needed this!"

"Honestly, after thirty years, I needed a change of scenery", Ralph admitted, although he was clearly embarrassed with how Jenny was carrying him. "How did this even happen, Caleb? Gladius told us about the multiverse and who you are, but how did you end up in Game Central?"

Jenny looked over her shoulder at me, and Vanellope looked up at me with her ever curious eyes. I frowned. "Basically Rainbow and Gladius planned a proper welcome party for me, and when everything was going good!" I paused, then sighed. "But then three guards that me, Gladius and my friend Katania ran into earlier crashed the party. They're infamous for being troublemakers."

Jenny scoffed with an eye roll. "Of course."

"They immediately booked it for me", I continued, "But just as they were about to harm me, Gladius attacked to keep me safe. Then, both because I was angry and adrenaline, I took Gladius and attacked again, which accidentally opened that portal that sent me to you two." I looked at Vanellope, who had her eyes flash with the slightest anger. "You guys shouldn't worry about them, though. Katania's mom is their boss, so she's probably fired them."

Ralph hummed. "Still, when we get you home, I'd like to have a word with them."

"They sound like Taffyta, Candlehead and Rancis...", Vanellope said in a dangerously low tone.

"Just say the word, Caleb, and I'll make sure they never cross you again", Jenny said with determination. She looked over her shoulder and flashed me a smirk, and I returned a genuine smile. Just then, however, a deep boom echoed throughout the tunnel, and Jenny started to lose her balance.

"Jenny, what's happening?!" I cried.

"I don't know!" She cried back. All five of us let out screams of terror as we started barreling towards the exit. As we were spit out of the portal, I had to squint my eyes with the midday sun.

"Trees!!!" Gladius called out. Before I could tell what was going on, I felt Jenny wrap me in a tight hug. I dared to take a peek, and was met with us plummeting into a forest.

~X~

I groaned and held my head as I shook it, our landing very rough. I looked around, making sure everyone was good, and they all groaned simultaneously. I got off of Jenny carefully and rolled onto my back breathing heavily. Doing this helped me notice Gladius stabbed into the tree that cast its shadow over me. Acting quickly, I jumped to my feet and pulled him out. He shook himself off, then faced me.

"We definitely have had...better landings", Gladius said sheepishly as I helped Ralph to his feet. He was able to keep Vanellope from harm, as she just jumped off the wrecker's chest and dusted herself off, letting out a long sigh of relief.