Eyes On The Mountain

I let out a quiet yawn with a streak of light shining on my face. I squinted, glaring at the curtain that failed at its job, but chose to shrug it off. I looked at my phone, which was on the nightstand next to the bed., and checked out the time.

6:30

I quietly groaned at this, but then remembered my tea time with Hidla. She told me it was at 8. Carefully, I got out of bed and made my way over to the bathroom, quickly glancing back at the others. They were sleeping anywhere they could, still out like a light. I gave off a small smile, then entered the bathroom to get ready for the day. It didn't take long for me to get all freshened up, and when I did a double check in the mirror, nodded, and left the hotel. As I walked out into the sunrise painted street, I saw Gladius hovering by a lamppost.

"I was wondering when you'd get up", Gladius said cheekily. I rolled my eyes.

"You're lucky we got to meet Hilda", I said, "Otherwise you'd be stuck dealing with 'Sleep-Deprived Caleb'. And that isn't someone you want to meet."

Gladius just chuckled at my weak threat. "Sure. Let's just go, Hilda's home is a couple blocks away."

I nodded and the two of us began our trek through the city. It was a quiet morning, only the occasional car passing us every few minutes. I looked up at the sky, taking in the beautiful orange/pink sky, and took a deep, relaxed breath.

"Trolberg is so nice", I said with a sigh, "Honestly, when we get back home and get this portal making down, I'd love to visit here more often."

"I'll be sure Rainbow helps with that", Gladius said with a nod, "We've been lucky with our travels so far, as there are 'graveyard' universes that are extremely dangerous." I looked up at him in questioning. "And the less you know, the better."

"Alright, whatever you say", I shrugged. We continued walking in silence for two more blocks, until we ran into a familiar face.

"Caleb!" Frida called. She and David had just crossed the street and walked up to my side, "On your way to Hilda's?"

"Yep!" I said happily, "I haven't had tea before, so I'm excited."

"Hilda's mum makes the best tea, so you should be", David said.I was quick to notice a ladybug was in his hair, so I plucked it out and let it fly free. David chuckled sheepishly.

"Let's get going", Gladius spoke up, "Best not to keep Hilda waiting!" Frida took the lead of the group, and we all followed her down the street. As we walked, David decided to spark up a conversation.

"So, where are you from, Caleb?" He asked. It was such a simple question, but it irked me deep down. I did try my best to bury that feeling, however, and answer him.

"I did live in Canada, but after an incident, I moved to a large home I share with others", I explained, "Gladius was stored in the basement, I freed him, and life was good. But after a welcome party went wrong, I got lost with only Gladius by my side."

"Wow, I'm sorry that happened", the young boy said sadly, "Must be hard being away from your family."

"Not me..." I said too quietly. I then said, "Yeah, it is. It felt like I just found my place, and now it's gone..."

"Chin up, Caleb", Frida encouraged, "You're here now, and as long as you are, me, David and Hilda have got your back."

"Yeah!" David chimed in, before shrinking back a bit, "Unless we've got to run from Trolls."

I let out a laugh. "That's really sweet of you guys. Maybe if I'm persuasive enough,I can convince your parents to join us." David shook his head fearfully, which only got all of us to laugh.