Chapter 54

(Flashback)

In the Aether Foundation, Lusamine is lying on the bed with Lillie and Gladion sitting beside her, she is being helped by the life supporter, and both people look at each other with uneasy feelings.

"Why of all times that this has to be happening?" Lillie bursts out in tears and Gladion hugs her.

Gladion frowns and says, "I don't want to believe it as well...but what can we even do now?"

Ash, Tox, and Alice walk toward them and Ash says, "Lillie, this is all we can do right now, but we promise we are going to find a way to save her."

Alice touches her head and sighs, "But the temperature is low...it must be the effects of the Nihilego Toxins."

Tox says, "I don't think we can just wait and do nothing, why can't we just extract the toxins in her blood?"

"It has been 10 years since she accidentally inhaled the toxins in the blood." Ash says. "They are hard to extract in this state, considering the whole blood might be affected!"

They hear a weak voice from Lusamine, and Ash tries to hear what she is saying. "No..."

When Ash tells them what he has heard, Gladion yells, "Mother? What do you mean no? You will be fine after Dr. Tox and Dr. Gus, two of the best doctors for human problems, heal you up."

"There is no need to heal me..." This causes them to be surprised. Tox asks, "What are you talking about?"

"I know my time in the world...is about to end soon...just, please...stop wasting time on a dying person like me..." Lusamine says with a weak voice.

Ash rushes towards the bed and says, "Ms. Lusamine, what are you talking about? If you are gone, what about your children? Are you going to leave them alone? How could you do that?"

"I know I am selfish...but I don't think I can stay in this meaningless world..." Lusamine replies.

"The world is not meaningless, Lusamine." Ash says, and then Lillie and Gladion start to cry out as they don't want their mother to go.

"The toxins in my body...not even the best doctors can remove them...please don't waste your time on me..." Lusamine says as she turns to her two children. "Lillie, Gladion...help Ash and Alice all you can..."

Lillie and Gladion nod, and then not long after, Lusamine's heart stops beating and all the people in the room are now crying.

"Mom...why?" Lillie cries out loud as Ash is the one that hugs her tight, feeling sad for her losing her mother. As for Gladion, he just punches the wall, causing blood to drip from his hand, he is also furious at how it happened. As for the others, they aren't as sad as Lillie and Gladion, but they also shed some tears for a person's passing.

Then the death of Lusamine has also spread throughout the whole world, people are sad at the woman's death as the Aether Foundation has given them a lot of good deeds. Everyone has come to the Aether Foundation as they come to bid farewell to Lusamine, but not all of them are able to enter because of personal reasons. Lillie and Gladion also decide to bury their mother's body inside the grounds of the Aether Foundation, since it is also where their father was buried.

Once the burial is over, Ash says, "So what are you two going to do?"

The two siblings stay silent and then Alice says, "Ash and I have been thinking about this, we have decided to let you guys become a member of the Ketchum family, how is that sound?"