Chapter 60

Darshana

In almost three years, for the first time I saw Hridhay without his contacts.

The lens made his eyes look black but the actual colour of his eyes are brown. He has indeed got an infection and the doctor advised him to take eye drops and tablets for a short period. If he gets better, gradually he'll get cured, else he might have to undergo a minor surgery. Also the doctor advised him to avoid using contacts until he gets cured and a couple of months afterwards.

When we reached back to the Housing unit, Ashok Anna asked me to accompany Hridhay as he had some work. Since Hridhay is Long-sighted, it was easy for him to move around but I had to help him in entering the passcodes at the elevator and penthouse entrance door. He has been suffering from a headache for over a month now but today it took a toll on him. Yet he sported a smile on his face when he met the school Principal and distributed the prizes.

Hridhay wanted to talk with me about something. I knew it must be something about Veda but I have put up a strong facade since morning which I didn't want to break. Only I know how much is going inside me. This was the night Veda was emotionally broken by his father for being an artist. I want to go to him and be with him but I cannot. If I do so, in the wake of giving him calming shoulder, I might end up giving him hope and hurting him more. I have already done that once, I don't have the strength to break him more and more on the same day. Also when Hridhay is suffering here, I cannot leave him and go there.

So, I avoided talking about Veda and asked Hridhay to relax as I made him dinner. He was surprised but I cannot leave him unattended either. I made us a simple dinner and took it to his bedroom. He had changed into a pair of shorts and t-shirt but instead of lying down, he was sitting and leaning his head back against the headboard.

I sat opposite him and he jerked out of his short uncomfortable nap. I fed him dinner and he kept on watching me until I finished feeding him. I stood up with the plate to leave but he held my hand and stopped me. "Darshi, naan one month ah unkita oru vishayam solanum nu try panitu iruken. Please inaiku aachum kelu."

"Nee saptacha la ipo naanum sapdanum. Nee solrathu kekanum ah illa poi nan sapdanum ah nu neeye mudivu paniko." He released my hand and I kept the plate on the alimra before checking the prescription and giving him the tablets. "Ashok Anna vanthutaru na avara eye drops poda solren illa nan kelamburathuku munnadi vanthu potu viduren." He nodded his head and I left his bedroom.

I closed the door behind me and leaned against it. I really don't know how long I can endure this. Hridhay is sick and I cannot act indifferent to him and at the same time, I don't have the strength to discuss Veda. I went to the kitchen, washed the plate in which I fed Hridhay and took a fresh plate to have my dinner. I can eat in the same plate like Veda did but if Hridhay comes out to check me like I did that morning, it'll give him unnecessary hope.

It's been over a month since I had dinner in this house with Hridhay. Tonight I'm in the house but I have no strength to face him while having dinner. I miss my old self and I miss the moments I spent with Hridhay and Veda. Those chills and the butterflies. Initially, I was just enjoying the feeling but when it started getting deeper and deeper, I found myself in the middle of a burning forest.

I finished my dinner and washed the dishes. I went to get my phone from the living area to call Ashok Anna and ask when he would be returning but my phone chimed with an incoming call. Seeing the caller name, my hands trembled as it's been a month since I even spoke to Girish anna and he ringing me at early in the night gave me an unnerving feeling.

"Hello, Anna. Sollunga."

"Invitation kedachatha?"

"Haan na." Uncharacteristically, I used minimum words while talking with him.