Chapter 30

Veda

Why is she dragging me into this dilemma?

Just now Hridhay has taken a step towards me by making dyes for me. I'm controlling myself very much not to express my beyond happiness in the progress. But if he learns that I was the one who has taught Shana how to win against him, he might take that step back. At the same time, I cannot say no to Shana who is doing so much for me which she doesn't have to do.

"Ma, Naan vilaiyaadi romba varusham irukum, ma." I went with the truth. I hadn't played the game for at least thirteen to fourteen years.

Until we got separated, Hridhay and I used to play together in the same house team at school and opposite each other when we were at home. Sometimes we used to play along with Girish and his brother when our father was not home. Ashok and Hridhay used to be a team while Girish and I teamed up. After the separation, I never had the mindset to play without Hridhay and I couldn't go out with the promise to my mother.

"Neenga vilayadum pothu solo player ah illa team player ah?" She pouted and looked cute.

"Naan yen solo game vilaiyada poren. Enaku thaan eppavum..." I stopped myself from saying Hridhay's name again. He didn't correct Shana whe she called us friends and he let her assume. If I say Hridhay's name, Shana will ask more questions which Hridhay may not like. "Naan eppavum team player thaan."

"Unga position um Hridhay position um enna?"

"Naan Centre and avan Power Forward. Actually rendum roles laiyum vilaiyaduvom coach enga positions ah swap um panuvaru." I once again stopped myself from saying 'to confuse the opposition team.'

"Ji, appo neenga thaan enaku kathu koduka perfect candidate... I mean perfect coach. Romba venam Hridhay ah tackle panni highest score vanga help pannunga one-on-one la. Please..." Shana stepped closer to me and scrambled on my left shoulder.

It felt like electricity shot through me and I froze in action, unable to think or move. No girl has ever stepped close to me at this level, not even during my school days. Yeah, last Sunday in a moment of weakness, I hugged her but this feels something different.

"Please, Veda..." She maintained a puppy face and who could say no to that face.

"Okay. But on one condition."

"Solunga, Solunga..." She jumped on her toes.

"Naanthaan kathu koduthen nu Hridhay ku theriya koodathu." He already hates me and I don't want him to hate me more than he does now.

"Sathiyama solla matten." She pinched her throat. "Aana naan ithula jeiche aaganum."

I nodded at her. "Give me five minutes." I opened the door connecting the studio room to my bedroom and closed it behind me. I leaned on the door and took deep breaths. I want to jump, whistle, scream and dance but I control as Darshana is in the next room. My Hridhay is slowly stepping towards me and I have the faith and patience for him to completely come back to me.

Aana intha ponnu namala vambula maati viduthe.

I just hope this doesn't bring any new issues between us.

I searched for my old basketball but couldn't find it anywhere in my bedroom. I caught my reflection in the mirror and lowered the hoodie, looking at myself. With the hoodie, I cannot teach her how to defend properly and I don't have a face mask.

The lockdown and quarantine was new to the world when the pandemic hit but I was habituated to it for over a decade then. Staying inside the house without sunlight and fresh air, I was prepared to make the studio room as my world and the house as my universe. And there was no pandemic in my world and face masks weren't a necessity.