Chapter 57

Darshana

You can do it, Daru. Don't feel weak!

I took a deep breath and got out of the car. Ashok anna followed me and looked around the school with a pleasant smile on his face. Hridhay stayed in the car and seemed nervous. Ashok Anna opened the door and peeked his head inside. "Enna da aachu?"

"Onnum illa." Hridhay opened the door on the left side where he was sitting and got out of the car. He looked around, rubbed the back of his neck and mildly massaged the back of his head.

"Are you alright?" I almost went to touch his shoulders but stopped myself. He looked at me and nodded.

"Hridhay, you are early?" A beautiful lady walked towards us wearing a firmly pressed saree, draped perfectly. She must be in her mid forties and had grey on her hair. But her beauty is unmatchable. "Gratefully the security informed us that you are here. Welcome back to our school." She got the flower bouquet from her assistant and forwarded it to him.

"Thank you, ma'am." He received the bouquet with a blush mixed sheepish smile. "I just wanted to be early so that I can spend some time on our campus and relive the moments." A male staff member came to felicitate him with a shawl. "Ma'am, what's the necessity of these formalities?"

"You might be the alumni but today you are the Chief guest so you have to be welcomed properly. This way." She forwarded her hand towards the corridor with office rooms and the principal cabin.

"A minute, ma'am." Ashok Anna stepped in to get the shawl and bouquet from Hridhay but he opened the car by himself and placed them on the back seat.

"Aren't you Ashok?" She looked at Ashok Anna quizzically and he nodded at her. "You both are still friends." She forwarded her hand leading the way.

"He has never left my side, ma'am." Hridhay answered her as he followed her. "He has been and will be by my side, forever and I would do the same. He is my only friend." He looked at me, sideways but I pretended not to notice.

"You had a bunch of friends here and you must have had friends from college and your business circle. How come he would be your only friend?" Hridhay stepped before her and opened the door for her. She shook her head in disbelief. "I would like to remind you that you are the Chief Guest."

"First your student, ma'am." He followed her inside her cabin. "And, Yes I have had friends but they were like passing clouds." I stayed outside the principal cabin and this time he locked his gaze with me. "They come, stay for a while and then leave. Ashok is not one of them."

The Principal looked at my way. "Why are you waiting outside, dear? Come in. Hridhay, you didn't introduce her to me."

"I'm his Chief Secretary, ma'am. I don't want to interrupt you and I prefer to wait outside." I smiled at her.

"Then at least wait in the office room waiting area. Please don't stand like a student serving her punishment. We don't believe in punishments." She smiled at me.

"You haven't changed a bit even after becoming the Principal, ma'am." Hridhay commented and she gestured to him to sit on the sofa.

I went into the office room and sat on the chair placed in the waiting area. The waiting area and the clerical section was separated by a wall and door. There was a shelf which showcased the trophies and awards won by the school. Next to the shelf there were toppers' boards of 10th and 12th students and the list started from the year of 1980 and 1982 respectively.

If the school has the facility for senior high school, then why did Hridhay change his school after 10th?

I was about to look around when my eyes caught something on both the 10th and 12th toppers' boards. In the year 2010, Girish Anna's name was listed on the 10th std toppers' board and Ashok Anna's name was listed on the 12th std toppers' board. Also Girish Anna's name was again listed on 12th std toppers' board two years later.