family matters | 29.

"I love you guys and I'm sorry for not being a more present mother

"I love you guys and I'm sorry for not being a more present mother." My mom cried. "Your dad was so good at this parenting thing. He was able to juggle it all. Work. School. The family business. He made it look so easy."

Messiah rubbed her back as she cried. "Mom it's okay. No one faults you for wanting to build a successful life for your children to have. You had to sacrifice."

It wasn't the time to critique our mom on what she did and didn't do while raising us. Our father had been sent to prison and a piece of this family would be missing forever.

We were all sitting in the living room talking about what had happened today. Even Ari was here.

Ari rubbed the side of my arm as my head rested on my shoulder.

"And Simone I'm so sorry. I didn't know Ezekiel was hurting you. He portrayed it as if everything was okay. Im sorry for not paying attention." My mother sniffed.

I could've swore I heard Ari mumble something under his breath. I looked up at him.

"Hmm?"

"Nothing." I shake my head.

"Thank you mommy. I never wanted this to happen with dad. I didn't know he was going to do that to..," I sighed. "Ezekiel."

"It's not your fault that dad went to jail Simone. I know that's what you're thinking and it isn't you're fault." Jaliyah says.

Everyone nods their head in agreement.

"Exactly." Aubrey agreed. "Dad's all about protecting his children. Maybe killing him was the wrong route but he felt like he had to protect his youngest daughter."

"And we don't blame you not one bit." Messiah reassured.

Ari looked down at me and smiled. "See?"

He leaned down and kissed the top of my head.

I gave my siblings and mom a sad smile. "I love you guys."

"We love you too lil' sis." Messiah replied for everyone.

"And Ari I just want to say that I'm sorry for judging you because of your background. You've made her happier than Ezekiel would have ever been able to." My mom genuinely apologized.

"Thank you." He grinned. "She's the love of my life. I'd do anything for her."

My sisters, mother, and I all swooned at his sweet words.

"And you're mine." I added with a small smile.

𐩃

It's been four months since my father has been in prison and I finally decided to work up the courage to visit him. Everyone had gone and except me and it was my time now.

I was still afraid that he would blame me or hate me for putting him in that position. Even though my siblings told me otherwise.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come in there with you?" Ari asked for the third time as we pulled up to the prison facility.

"I'm sure. I'll be fine."

"Okay." He leans over and gives me a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too."

I grab my purse and step out of the car. I walk inside of the building and go through the metal detectors. They had me give them my ID and sign in. They also had me leave my bag in an locker for precaution before leading me into the visiting room.

The cold air wafted over me when I stepped inside the room and I connected eyes with my father. He looked exhausted. He almost now had a salt and pepper afro. His beard had grown as well.

My dad stood up and I ran into his arms, pulling him into a tight hug.

"I missed you." I muttered.

"I missed you, too."

"You've hugged long enough." A guard stepped in and we reluctantly released from each other's arms.

We both took a seat.

"How have you been? What's going at home?" He asked with a smile on his face.

"I've been better. I miss you, dad. Im sorry for not visiting you sooner. I was just scared." I sighed.

"Scared of what?" His brows furrowed.

"I thought you would blame me for you being in here. I don't know."

"No. Never. I never blamed you or I never will. I'd die before blaming you for a choice I made. I did what I did and I don't feel sorry about it." He whispered the last part.

It felt like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. It felt different hearing it come out of my father's mouth. It actually meant something.

I felt like I wanted to cry a little. "I miss you so much."

"I miss you more. What have you been up to?"

I wipe my eyes. "I found something I enjoy doing."

"What is it?"

"I really enjoy working with kids and helping them. I finally realized it when we were at the benefit for wrongfully incarcerated fathers that mom hosted. Just talking to the kids and motivating them. I love it, dad." I gushed.

My dad smiled. "I'm glad you found something. Thinking about being anything specifically or you're taking it slow?"

"I'm taking it slow but I think I might work for the foundation. Just not the medical part. Counseling sounds cool too."

"I love that for you, Simone. Im glad you're following into something you want. How's you and Ari? I heard he was at the house after the trial." He asks and I smile.

"We're going strong. He's my one, dad. I love him so much. This past year he's been supporting me and make sure he's been there for me with all that's going on. Even before that with the whole Ezekiel thing too."

"I'm glad you found love. You deserve everything good in life." He beams which causes me to smile as well.

The next hour was spent talking about any and everything under the sun. We talked and talked until the guards told me his time was up.

Im glad I stopped being scary and finally made the move to talk to him.

not proofread awww free her daddy

not proofread
awww free her daddy