LXVI. Nil mortalibus arduum est

AURORA WAS NEVER AFRAID OF HEIGHTS, but as she looked down, her mind went blank

AURORA WAS NEVER AFRAID OF HEIGHTS, but as she looked down, her mind went blank. The bridge to Olympus was dissolving. They stepped out of the lift onto the white marble walkway, and immediately cracks appeared at their feet.

Except her mind being blank, in her mind Venus' words "A one way trip, a very hard fall."  Seemed to haunt her, the same words she saw in her dreams.

"Can someone please explain it to me?" Aurora asked.

The hall was deadly silent.

"I guess not." She muttered.

"Jump!" Grover said, which was easy for him since he's part mountain goat.

He sorang to the next slab of stone while ours tilted sickeningly.

"Gods, I hate heights!" Thalia yelled as she, Rhys, Cressida, Isabella and Percy leaped.

But Aurora even with the help of the winds and didn't land safely. She stumbled and fell.

Percy caught her hand as the pavement fell, crumbling into dust. For a second Aurora thought she was going to pull them both over. Her feet dangled in the open air.

"Don't worry. I gotcha." Percy managed to say.

Aurora's hand started to slip until Percy was holding her only by her fingers. Then Isabella, Grover, Annabeth, Rhys, Cressida and Thalia grabbed his legs.

"I'm not letting you go, sister." Percy strained.

Hades, Poseidon, Amphitrite, the Dark Crew, Osiris, Anubis, Khonsu and Set exchanged looks.

Me and Daemon also exchanged looks, a lump caught in my throat and I closed my eyes although that might not have been the best decision because the scene came flooding in my mind. Her screams nor his left my mind. As I opened my eyes to look over at Daemon I could see he was in the same condition.

Percy pulled her up and they lay trembling on the pavement. They didn't realise they had their arms around each other until she suddenly tensed.

"Are you fine?" He asked stroking her hair.

"Yeah. I am fine." Aurora managed to say.
"And Um, thanks." she muttered.

"Uh duh." Percy muttered.

"Keep moving!" Rhys tugged Percy's shoulder.

They untangled themselves and sprinted across the sky bridge as more stones disintegrated and fell into oblivion. They made it to the edge of the mountain just as the final section collapsed.

Aurora and Cressida looked back at the elevator, which was now completely out of reach-a polished set of metal doors hanging in space, attached to nothing, six hundred stories above Manhattan.