the hospital

~JESS' POV~
"Jess?" I hear my mom ask, opening my door, my room is pitch black and my pillow is soaked.

"what?" I muffle through my pillow.

"get ready please. we need to go for a drive." she says and I immediately sit up.

"what's wrong?" I ask, scared.

"just fix your makeup, brush your hair and put on a pair of sweats. we have to go now. there's coffee downstairs." she says urgently.

I get out of bed, fix my makeup and brush my hair at the same time, not knowing what's happened, but not entirely sure that I want to.

I put on my Victoria's Secret sweatpants and my matching hoodie and throw my hair up in a ponytail as I walk downstairs and I grab my crutches at the bottom of the stairs, putting on a pair of Uggs. I grab my phone off of the counter, it still being off.

"get in the car. here's your coffee. I'll explain on the way." she says and I grab it and walk out, somehow not spilling anything.

I turn on my phone when I get in the car and it vibrates for about a minute after.

Jack.

I sip my coffee, reading through the texts.

"Jess," my mom starts.

"can I listen to my voicemails?" I say already listening to them.

she nods and continues to drive.

I start at the beginning. all of them about how he needs to explain and how sorry he is.

I listen to the last one.

"Jess. I'm so sorry. I love you. there are a million reasons for you to hate me, just know that I love-" he says and he is interrupted by a loud bang and the phone goes silent. until I hear him speak again.

"no, Jess."

"mom.." I say, tears falling down my face already.

"Jess, Jack is in the hospital." she says quietly.

"no. no. mom, what happened?" I say, crying even harder.

"he got in a car crash. on his way to see you."

it's my fault.

it's all my fault.

Jack could die because of me.

"is, is he going to make it?" I stutter.

"I'm not sure. they just told me about it, seeing he called you last." she says and I sit there, sipping my coffee, just feeling numb.

people drive by.

my mom tries talking to me.

my favourite songs come on.

nothing affects me.

I see ambulances roll by and I realise that we're here.

I get out and run as fast as I can on crutches.

I rush up to the front desk.

"Jack Gilinsky, where is he?" I say as fast as I can.

"he's in room 210, up the elevator and to the right." the receptionist says.

I take the elevator, not bothering to wait for my mom, just trying to get to Jack as fast as I can.

the doors open and I go right as quickly as I can.

room 210.

I open the door and I see a nurse in there.

"you can't be in here." she tells me.