chapter 21

"are you sure you'll be okay?" Jack asks me, not wanting me to get hurt the little bit I have to walk without him to my seat.

"babe. it's not even 10 steps. I'll be fine." I say giving him a quick kiss before walking into Calculus. Jack insists on opening the door.

"oh. hello Mr. Gilinsky and Ms. Valdez, nice of you two to join us." Mr. Thompson says.

"sorry I was in the hospital." I snap back at him, rolling my eyes.

I hand him our late slip and walk to my seat. I try to sit in my chair and it takes a while, but I get it.

he starts the class and I take notes, but I don't actually get anything from it. the bell rings, bringing me out of my daze. Jack immediately comes over to help me.

"Jack, it's just a sprain. I can do it." I say.

"I know you can do it." Jack says seductively, whispering in my ear.

"shut up!" I say playfully hitting him and almost falling.

"don't fall baby!" Jack says and him calling me baby makes my knees give out.

"damnit." I say as my butt lands on the floor.

"I told you not to fall." Jack says laughing.

"I tried not to." I say laughing as Jack helps me up.

"well try harder next time." he says and pulls me in to a kiss. I gently kiss his lips and he grabs my books.

I don't really pay attention to anything for the rest of the day.

people ask me what happened and I tell them, but I don't remember anything until cheer practice.

I have to sit out. this will be the hardest thing I've ever done.

"are you going to stay and watch practice with me?" I ask Jack.

"yeah, I might go over with the football team and just talk to them though." he says.

"that's fine, because I'm still going to try and run practice." I say laughing little.

"okay. sounds good." he says and we walk over to the bleachers because we're outside today.

"Jess!" Anna yells when she sees me.

"hey!" I yell and she runs over and hugs me.

"I missed you so much." she says.

"I hate that we don't have the same classes this year." I say, somewhat sad thinking about it.

"I know. we went from having like every class together to only having lunch together." Anna says, sad too.

"it's awful." I say.

"well, I have to go to practice, I'll see you tomorrow." she says and we hug again and she runs off.

"I wish I could run." I say quiet enough so only Jack and I can hear.

"you can hobble if that counts for anything." he says and let's out a light laugh.

"shut up!" I say laughing.

"you'll have to make me shut up." he says turning me so I'm facing him.

"oh yeah?"

"yeah." he says and I lean in and give him a long kiss, not making out, just a long, lingering kiss.

some people see us and jokingly whistle. Jack starts laughing and so do I, so I pull away.

"I love this school." he says laughing.