The Matchmaker Has a Mind of Its Own

Qian Wei and Lu Xun go head-to-head on the debate team. The current prompt for this round: Love or bread, which is more important? 

LX: Bread is everywhere, whereas love is like a ghost. Many have heard about it before but not many have seen it. A thing is valued if it's rare and love is rare. Therefore, love is more important than bread. 

QW: Love without money is just like a bunch of loose sand - it's gone without the wind blowing. Poverty consumes marriage and without bread, you can't even keep love going.

LX: Chasing after material desires keeps one away from true love. 

QW: Descartes once said that desire awakens only to things that are thought possible. (Echoing Li Chong Wen's own thoughts.) When one doesn't have a mind of their own, why do they need love? Their life is meaningless. Furthermore, bread won't leave you but your lover may dump you. 

LX: Love is a form of mental pleasure. Pursuing material things blindly will only lower one's standards. 

The two eventually end up personally attacking each other on love and money. Li Chong Wen stops the round and announces that they're tied right now.  

Afterwards, Li Chong Wen tells her in private what tomorrow's topic is. He tells her to keep this a secret or else they would both need to leave the debate team. She looks uncomfortable with this information but they're interrupted by Lu Xun, who assumes that they're on a date. Qian Wei decides to not say anything and just quickly leaves the room.

The next day before the start of the debate, Qian Wei stands up and says this match should be canceled as it's not fair. Lu Xun also stands up and says that before this debate, their seniors had given them the topic ahead of time. The night before, Qian Wei had called Lu Xun while he was writing a letter of complaint on Yu Tian, the female senior on the team. Teacher Zhang, Yu Tian and Li Chong Wen all smile at this. Yu Tian tells them that they have passed the ultimate test. When two competitors are given the same improper shortcut, the party who steps forward and reports to the authority is the talent they've been looking for. Teacher Zhang says that since the establishment of this debate team, this is the first time both candidates passed this ultimate test together. He's making an exception and announces both captain of the team, and new members will be divided into two teams. 

While the two receive their badges as captain for the team, Li Chong Wen apologizes to Qian Wei for lying to her. And she throws shade: "It's okay. You're an expert when it comes to lying." He makes this perplexed face at her offhand comment. LOL He doesn't know where it's coming from.

It's time to take a photo of the new captains, and they're told to stand closer to each other, but Qian Wei looks worriedly at Mo Zi Xin who is clapping for them. This makes Lu Xun think she's looking at the smiling Li Chong Wen. Teacher Zhang ask them again to stand closer so Lu Xun pulls on her sleeve to pull her right next to him. She continues inching away from him but Lu Xun just reaches out and pulls her in for the remainder of the photos.

Another day, Lu Xun and Qian Wei are playing charades against each other to assign members for Team Lu or Team Qian. Lu Xun is first but he's terrible at acting out the phrases. However Qian Wei knows the answers because she's had years of being his assistant and knows his micro expressions. (SZE has done an amazing job thus far with breaking the fourth wall and making it appear so natural. Seriously.) Lu Xun has scored zero points and Qian Wei has scored five points, so she's able to swap out some of her teammates, including Mo Zi Xin, for Liu Shi Yun instead. Li Chong Wen is up next and Qian Wei makes sure to help Lu Xun with the guesses. Li Chong Wen comments that she doesn't want to be guided by him, and she says a guy should be guided by another guy. Ha. Yu Tian says she's being disrespectful, but Li Chong Wen says that she'll liven up the debate team and is a good fit for his team. She's stuck with him.