Protecting You Is My Instinct

Qian Wei signs the banner as a belated graduation wish: “Li Chong Wen, May you stay motivated, enjoy what you do with a clear conscience.” She tells him that he doesn’t have to try so hard to survive. He no longer has nothing so it’s time to find himself. He says it’s too late and he only hopes that every step she takes will be steady, so don’t fall again. She replies she’s not afraid to fall and maybe this is why they no longer follow the same path with each other. Before she leaves, he warns her that Lan He will eliminate whoever stands in her way of AES' public listing. She tells him that she and Lu Xun made a deal - no matter what happens, they’ll face it together and never give in. 

When Li Chong Wen returns to his car, to his surprise, Yu Tian is waiting for him. She's scared and out of places to hide. She did everything Wang Ruo Gu asked and he wants her to take the fall for everything. He suggests that she use the evidence she has as leverage for negotiating with Lan He. She knows if she turns herself in, it will implicate him as well. She begs him to help her as she's really out of options. He gives her his car keys and tells her to stay at his place for the time being. They'll see what happens with Wang Ruo Gu's trial. She gives him a flash drive with a copy of the ledgers as he's the only person she trusts from AES.     

Qian Wei has another prophetic dream during her brain scan. In the dream, an oncoming car is careening into them, but Lu Xun pushes her out of the way so he gets hit by the car. Meanwhile, the papers for Qing Yun Project's Bursary Supplementary Agreement flies around. She wakes up and realizes that the ring wasn't the source of her dreams. Afterwards, she tells Lu Xun that she didn't have any dreams as she isn't wearing the ring. He's relieved that she won't be on tenterhooks because of her dreams. They continue discussing their case against Lan He. Qian Wei is concerned about retaliation, when a gurney is rolled through and Lu Xun pulls her out of the way, but the patient's husband bumps into him and Qian Wei is reminded of her prophetic dream. She fusses over him for pulling her out of the way and is worried about him being hurt. He explains that he's fine, and did it out of instinct, and continues explaining. She thinks to herself, if she told him what happened in her dream, then he would want to go with her. But that's how he got hit because he was trying to protect her. She can’t risk his life, so it's her instinct to protect him, too. 

In the darkness of AES' office, Li Chong Wen recalls Yu Tian and Qian Wei’s words.

YT: We're just the tools of capitalists, yet we have to sacrifice our ideals and life for their ambitions. It's really not worth it. 

QW: You no longer have nothing. It's time to find yourself. 

Once the place is empty, Li Chong Wen goes into the Financial Office but Lan He is watching him on the surveillance camera.  

It's Christmas Day and Lu Xun is busy with a client meeting. Qian Wei is looking at a blue tie in a gift box when Lawyer Wu comments that it's likely that Lu Xun doesn't have time for a date with her. So he invites her to go drinking with him and their colleagues. She then shows him her card.

Lu Xun,

Merry Christmas! This is our first holiday as a couple. In my dream, it was always you preparing surprises for me, but now, it's my turn. I wish that we can celebrate Christmas together every year. 

Qian Wei

She says it's likely Lu Xun has a surprise for her at home. She tells him that singles like him should go and have fun. lol He says he was showing concern for her, and here she is showing off! He wishes her a Merry Christmas. Then Lu Xun calls her.

Lu Xun and Qian Wei are sitting down, and he has one hand covering her eyes. He tells her that they're almost there, and then removes his hand and tells her to open her eyes. She opens her eyes and they're on the Ferris wheel and to her surprise, it appears to be snowing in Haizhou. Aww. He then asks her "When snowflakes fall in the palm of your hand, do you know how we can keep them from melting?" She looks at him and then says what utter nonsense - just watch the snow. He grabs the box next to him and asks if she wants a pair of gloves? He opens the box and she's reminded of the mittens from her dream, so she asks if he knitted these. He did. She grabs a glove and puts it on but discovers something is lodged inside one of the fingers.  He tells her that putting on will guarantee that the snow won't melt now. She pulls out her hand and finds her ring on her left middle finger, and there are diamonds on it now. He plays it off like he doesn't know anything about it. She asks what this is. He slides the ring all the way down onto her finger. Then he says a proposal is not that hard as even the ring found its way to her finger. He comments that she seems eager to say yes. She looks distressed and starts yelling that she didn't say yes, and asks why did he put this on her? He asks well, didn't she already agree to become his wife? She says no, he tricked her! Take it off... He agrees that he did trick her, and the ring's already on her, so what?