2.26

chapter twenty-six

Sin straightened his tie before walking up to the podium. The sound of flashes going off from the cameras and the loud silence took over the room. He looks around, seeing many different journalists, police officers, and even politicians he worked with before, all sitting in one room looking at him.

He was the face of the city; he had a famous reputation to uphold, and he grew tired of pretending to be this politician his father wanted him to continue doing while also taking over the mafia.

Sinclair grew up barely remembering his mother; all his memories were with his dad. Everything he went through during his childhood and adolescence years was nothing but studying and training. He's not even sure if his mother existed. Even during those years, he never rarely got to see Viola as much because their father wanted her to meet the different men in Italy. The only time he got to see his sister was when he started university, working towards a business administration degree.

Of course, his father made sure everything was secret, private until he turned twenty-one. The public got their first glimpse of the Maurice legacy. Sinclair knew he didn't have a choice, but because he didn't, he grew to idolize everything his father did, everything he stood for. He loved his father. He was his best friend.

He taught him so much about playing the role. Being this CEO of a company, monopolizing most of the companies in the uptown area, and even smiling and waving for the cameras that loved him.

He even taught him how to get out the things that hurt The Maurice's legacy. Like the situation, he's in now. If his father was still alive, he'd probably be lecturing Sinclair right now, cursing him for being reckless and dumb. Affairs, shoot outs, and a lot more. His father would've had all this cleared up the moment it started, but whose to say what his father used to do was the rational way. The right way. He was done walking in his father's footsteps. Sinclair wants to crave his own path in life, not continue his father's.

"I want to start with the accusations of Missy Davis, being dead and missing," Sin says, making everyone gasp before the mumbling and typing begin again.

" She was missing because Marquez kidnapped her and hid her in one of our company's warehouses, filled with armed men. Marquez thought he was smart, announcing her death on live tv, and tried to proceed by ruling her case closed."

"Mister Maurice! Is it true that Vince Marquez hired traffickers to have you and Miss Davis killed?" Someone shouts, making Sin look around again before lowering his head.

"I was shot," he says into the mic. "At that moment, I thought I was going to die."

Everyone was quiet; the flashing from cameras was the only thing heard.

"But then, hearing the voice of Missy Davis brought me out of my semi-unconscious state. If it wasn't for her bravery to confront someone as evil as Marquez, I wouldn't be here today." He watches as the sympathy covers their faces, making it easier for him to say more things to convince them how terrible Marquez is.