Chapter 36 - Cara (early winter, 2025)

Time waited for no one and the journey over the past 11 months had been filled with an emotional landscape that slowly morphed from deep, dark valleys to glorious mountain ranges

Jimin's recovery was slower than he'd hoped. Just hours prior to him being discharged from hospital, the Arctic fox had developed severe blood clots, one which went to his lungs. Because of the emergency surgery he'd had to undergo, Jimin's stay was extended for another 10 days. To say I had a very grumpy and impatient mate was an understatement.

It's often said that doctors and nurses make the worst patients, but I had to differ – my mate did.

While he was never rude to the staff looking after him, when Jimin came home, it was Yoongi and I who copped his frustration. He wasn't violent but he had fallen into an emotional funk that made him difficult to be around. My mate lost the spark that made him shine. Instead of the long deep and meaningful discussions I used to have with both mates, it felt like most of the time it was Yoongi and I holding up the conversation, with Jimin either grunting or giving one word answers. He was depressed and I could understand why he felt that way since he absolutely detested being on strict orders to rest. As an active hybrid with a job that was physically demanding, my mate wasn't used to sitting around 24/7 and not doing much.

I tried to be supportive of him and his mental health, but sometimes it felt like I was just the punching bag. To try and make him feel better, I cooked his favourite dishes and made myself look nice for him when we ate together. I never got any reactions because Jimin was just always so low and pessimistic about everything. It was like he was a ghost, haunting the house he used to live in.

As much as Yoongi tried to boost me up, my confidence and self-worth plummeted; it felt like my Arctic fox mate didn't want anything to do with me anymore since he wouldn't kiss me or touch me in any way for weeks. He even moved into the spare room, defending his action by saying that he needed to make sure he wouldn't be rolled onto during the night.

When he first started working with Jungkook a month after his second surgery, I hoped it would have helped with his depression. It seemed like he enjoyed the physical rehab but when results weren't coming fast enough, his emotional and mental well-being declined rapidly. We could go days without hearing him speak; the worst part of it though, was how one day when I was passing by the physio rooms, I saw Jimin and Jungkook working and chatting away happily. I knew then and there that the façade he put up for everyone else came down as soon as he came home.

For humans, it would take a year or so to kind of get back to where they were before they sustained the gunshot wound; hybrids on the other hand, with their faster healing, could recover in a few months. It took about five months for Jimin to fully recover, and unfortunately his mental health didn't improve at all.

The Arctic fox was already hanging onto the hope of him recovering quickly by the skin of his teeth, although, that was decimated when he was told he couldn't ever return to full duties as a detective. Unfortunately, it wasn't up to Captain Bang, otherwise he would have kept Jimin on the job. It was the top dogs who said that my mate would have to retire from the police force due to being injured on the line of duty, which sent him into an even deeper depression.