Chapter 23 - Yoongi (early summer, 2024)

Over the past week, Cara and I had caught up most days for dinner or coffee with Jimin

Over the past week, Cara and I had caught up most days for dinner or coffee with Jimin. When I first heard that she had another mate, and a destined one no less, waves of jealousy and anxiety rolled through my heart and mind. Call me selfish, but I wanted Cara all to myself; I was insecure that if she had another mate, then she might not want me anymore.

Although, upon meeting the Arctic fox hybrid, I couldn't help but like him. Jimin was sweet, kind and funny, and not once had he made me feel unwanted or excluded. Instead, he felt like a friend that I'd known for years; like a brother I never had. The two of us got on extremely well, so well in fact that we decided that we really might actually be platonic mates. Platonic mates were common, especially in mate groups where they were not all connected – like ours was. Although, more time together was needed to see if we were platonic mates, but I had started feel that pull from my end.

It was one of those rare Saturdays where everyone all had the day off on the same day, so we decided to spend it together. Cara worked Monday to Friday, same as Jungkook and Hobi. Until Jackson and Jisoo had begun working in the hospital, Jin had been on call on his days off, but having more doctors working in the hospital meant that he could take his weekends off. Jimin also had managed to get the weekend off, which Cara and I were happy about. Taehyung was recovering well and living with Jin and JK but hadn't started looking for work yet. Bang Chan and Felix also had the day off, so the couple was interested in doing something too.

So, making the most of everyone having the nice summer's day free from work, we decided to spend the day at a strawberry farm that Hobi had heard about from one of his students. The farm apparently had a really good restaurant accompanying it, where they cooked the produce they grew; hence we decided to meet there for brunch to sustain us as we roamed the grounds and picked our own strawberries.

"Hobi and Joon are really looking forward to meeting you. Jinnie said Tae's excited to meet you... well, you know, outside of your work and talking about all the bad stuff he went through," Cara said to Jimin while we were on the road, me behind the wheel of my dark grey Audi A3.

It felt so good to be able to drive again, something I hadn't done for nearly a decade. Getting my driver's license was one of the only good things the 'Owners from Hell' allowed me to do; while living in that dreaded house, I was the one who went to the store to do groceries since I was basically their own personal chef. While I was homeless, I had missed being able to go wherever I wanted in a car; I missed that freedom.

I'd told Cara that I had my driver's license soon after I moved in with her. While she offered for me to use her car since she could carpool to work with Bang Chan, after not driving for nearly 10 years, I did not feel confident to start again when there was snow on the roads. In mid-spring, on our four month anniversary, Cara surprised me with a beautiful dark grey car of my own. I'd tried to convince her to let me pay her back for the brand new vehicle since my album had been raking in decent money, but she insisted that invest that in myself and my music career.