Chapter 37 - Cara (early winter, 2025)

Ever since the appointment I had at Sanctuary with Lisa yesterday, I felt like I'd been going through everything in a daze

Ever since the appointment I had at Sanctuary with Lisa yesterday, I felt like I'd been going through everything in a daze. I didn't remember the drive home, nor eating dinner, or even going to bed snuggled between my two mates. The only thing I kept thinking about was the tiny floating blip on the ultrasound screen.

My baby.

Dreams swirled and morphed together, each different but all containing the same theme of being pregnant or raising a family. Some were good ones where I raised a beautiful little child that was the perfect combination of their father and I, while others were nightmares that were too scary to think about again.

I was sitting at the breakfast bar in the kitchen, a steaming coffee in front of me. Since I was only allowed one coffee a day now, I was savouring this mug like it was an expensive fine wine, like it was the last beverage I'd ever consume.

Sure, I was being hyperbolic but as a self-proclaimed caffeine addict, I felt like my safe place – my inanimate best friend – was being stolen from me. Letting out a loud sigh, I took a deep swig of my elixir of life.

"Hey Baby," a deep voice uttered in my ear as arms wrapped around my waist.

I jumped, shrieking loudly. I was away with the fairies so much that I didn't hear my feline mate come downstairs. A deep, breathy chuckle tickled my exposed skin as Yoongi nuzzled into my neck.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you," he murmured between loud sniffs. "You smell delicious albeit a little different. Did you change your body wash?"

My mouth opened and closed like a fish. My brain malfunctioned, trying to figure out a way to get myself out of this without admitting the real reason why my scent changed. Thankfully, the arrival of my second mate into the kitchen gave me the reprieve from answering I needed.

"Goo'orning," Jimin mumbled sleepily. He looked so handsome, even with his puffy face, messy hair and a thin line of dried drool trailing down his chin.

"Morning, my loves," I replied, lifting my mug to my lips and taking a hearty pull. "I made coffee and was about to start on omelettes for breakfast if you'd like some?"

My two sleepy mates nodded, with Yoongi padding over to make coffee for them both as Jimin plopped into the seat I'd vacated. My Arctic fox pouted adorably as I moved to make a start on our breakfast.

As I began chopping up the capsicum, bacon and potato for the fillings, my heart blossomed as I pictured this exact sight in the near future but with an added member to our family; I could vividly see Jimin with a baby in arms, both pouting cutely while Yoongi and I prepared food for us all. I got so lost in the happy daydream that once again I jumped when Yoongi unexpectedly hugged me from behind.

"Cara, what's going on in that beautiful head of yours?" he asked softly as he rested his head on my shoulder. "Please don't say 'nothing' because we've been together for over two years, I know you, Kitten. You're not usually jumpy like this unless you've got something weighing heavily on your mind."