Chapter 30 - Yoongi (early autumn, 2024)

Every evening that passed where Cara was in her catatonic state felt like another stake through the heart

Every evening that passed where Cara was in her catatonic state felt like another stake through the heart. I hadn't told anyone, but I was worried that she was never going to come back to Jimin and I, especially since there had been no change on the first or second day. What hurt most was that when Jin and Lisa were putting all the medical monitoring devices and IV's onto her, Cara wasn't affected by their touch; however, neither Jimin nor I could touch her, even with the lightest touch with our little finger or a soft stroke of our tails.

Sure, small improvements started being made to her condition on the third day; however, I couldn't see the forest for the trees. I was too close to the situation, to worried to see any improvements she made because they were not that obvious.

On the third day, Jimin and I were able to touch her skin for short periods without overstimulating her system; I don't know who cried more when that happened, him or I. The fourth day brought more life back to our mate's eyes; the sparkle that was usually there, while dimmed, had returned. The fifth day had Cara being able to move her fingers and toes, and by the end of the sixth, she was moving all four limbs independently.

The seventh day had the most progress, with our mate being able to sit up in bed and then later that night she regained the ability to walk again. It wasn't until the last minute of the eighth day that Cara returned to us completely; hearing her beautiful melodic voice speaking how much she loved me had me crying like a baby.

It wasn't until a few days later when the three of us were eating breakfast together that a connection was made. Jimin realised that it took the same amount of time for Cara's catatonic state to lift as she'd spent looking after both of our ruts; each lasted eight days.

The one thing we still were unsure of was why it happened to her in the first place. Neither Jin, nor Lisa, had any ideas either; we'd asked the two doctors that question several times whenever they were here looking after our girl. Taemin had rearranged things so Cara would have Felix here looking after her during the times that Jin and Lisa had to work; there wasn't a moment where one of our friends or family weren't tending to her medical care during the first six days – after then, it was deemed that she was out of the woods since Jimin and I were able to get solid food into her.

The silver-lining to the whole experience was that our relationships were stronger than ever. I don't know about Jimin, but it felt like my love for Cara deepened. The way I felt towards her transcended into a whole other dimension. It also quelled any minute worry that my instincts had about my mate leaving me for Jimin. I knew then, without a shadow of a doubt, that she would never leave one of us for the other; how that came to be was anyone's guess, but I liked to think that all three of our souls had come together on a higher level.

That might explain how Jimin's rut stopped prematurely when it did and why neither he nor I had gone through our post-rut funk.

As much as I tried to not think about it, the worry of my next rut coming in a couple of weeks had me anxious about whether it would send Cara back into a catatonic state. Jin said he was going to research further into the phenomenon, but as of yet, we had no answers and that played heavily on my heart.