Chapter 34 - Yoongi (late autumn, 2024)

"

"...so that's the direction where I want to be heading for the next album," I said, sitting before the executives of the record label.

After releasing So Far Away online as an independent artist, I had been approached by representatives of BH Music. No one knew what BH meant, but over the years many people had different ideas – Big Hits Music, Best Hits Music, or my favourite, Beefy Hotties' Music.

In all actuality, BHM stands for Benevolent Hybrid Music, something I didn't find out until after I had been signed. The three owners started BH Music as a way to help undiscovered musicians with recording and releasing music.

During our first meeting, I had asked how they had known I was a hybrid. I was given the answer that even though I concealed my hybrid features so well that other hybrids couldn't detect me, the one thing I didn't realise was that some snake hybrids could taste the pheromones that come from hybrids. This was how I had come onto the radar of the executives of BH Music. During one of my underground rap battles, one of the three owners had come down to scout talent when he had seen me rapping on stage. Apparently, the snake hybrid could taste that I was a hybrid and was going to come and talk to me after my set but I had left quickly; he had gone to each battle afterwards trying to find me but I wasn't there. As soon as I heard this, I realised that he had seen me on stage the night I was attacked.

Hyo-Won Kang and Do-Hyeong Kwon were the faces of BH Music; the two being hybrids – a chow-chow dog and a Netherland dwarf rabbit respectfully. The third member of the executive team, the one who had identified me as a hybrid, was a man I had never met; all I knew was that his pseudonym name was Hiss Noise and that he was a sunbeam snake hybrid.

The irony that both Hyo-Won and Do-Hyeong were covertly flaunting their hybrid statuses wasn't lost on me after I'd found out; Hyo-Won's pseudonym name, P-Dogg, was literally a riff of producer dog. Slow Rabbit was the name Do-Hyeong chose as his stage name since as he was a dwarf rabbit, it took a long time for him to get to many places in animal form.

"I think with the success So Far Away had, expanding on your stories is a really smart idea," P-Dogg commented. "The fans are loving how raw and honest you are with your music. I think bringing in other people to song write for you would just alienate your audience. Your authenticity comes from being able to tell your own story, using your own voice."

Slow Rabbit was about to jump in, but the sound of my phone ringing cut him off. The sound caught me off guard since I had it on do not disturb. I had it on a setting that if either Cara, Jimin or Jin tried to call me three times, the ringtone would play.

My eyes widened as I saw the notifications on my lock screen – tons of messages and missed calls, with most of them coming from my mate.

"I'm so sorry, but I need to take this," I said in a quiet, shaking voice, "there seems to be some sort of emergency with my mate." I didn't care that I didn't wait for their approval before I ran from the room, collapsing onto a wall in the hallway as I pressed redial.