Chapter 17 - Cara (early summer, 2024)

It felt like the last six months flew by in a blur, like we were travelling through mountains of highs and valleys of lows on the fastest train in the world

Hobi and Namjoon headed off on their honeymoon to Paloma, in Galen. It was strange not seeing the emperor tamarin monkey at work for three weeks, nor seeing Joon's handsome face on the news for the latest political achievement he'd made.

A week after they'd returned, it was Christmas. Yoongi and I started our own holiday tradition by opening our gifts early in the morning together before we celebrated with our friends and family. My mate was beyond excited when he opened the largest box under the tree to find a new electronic keyboard since the one he owned was very outdated. I cried when I opened a small box with a silver heart-shaped locket nestled on the velvet. Inside was a photo of Yoongi and I, with the other side empty for when our kittens were born.

When everyone else arrived a few hours later, Jin and Jungkook had surprised us all when they came saying that instead of just having the holiday to celebrate, we were also toasting to their engagement. I burst into happy tears when Jungkook told everyone that he got down on bended knee early in the morning and asked my brother to marry him... for the second time apparently – only this time with a ring.

I was so elated for the couple, especially when they informed us that they would be married just a week later. When Joon had suggested earlier that day that we should have a low-key family only New Year's celebration, Jin blurted that we all needed to dress up fancy so that we wouldn't spoil his wedding photos; apparently, they had been unofficially engaged for months and been secretly planning a surprise wedding to be held at their New Year's Eve party.

I was honoured to be made Jin's best woman, with Yoongi asked to be JK's best man – the two hybrids had formed a fast friendship, with my mate caring for the Boxer like a younger brother. It really was cute to see Yoongi cave and give JK anything he wanted.

A week later, while Yoongi and I danced together at the reception, we talked about when we might get engaged and married ourselves. I loved him with all my heart and knew that I would love to be his wife. But I wasn't ready yet. My mate was understanding when I told him that; Yoongi said that he'd like us to have been together at least a year before we seriously began talking about weddings and marriage.

Valentine's day was romantic, the two of us decided to gift each other something handmade. Yoongi's gift to me was a song he'd written specially for me, which had me crying as soon as he started playing it. I gave him a mini notebook that I'd made; inside, the pages were filled with all the things I loved about him. I only stopped because there were no more pages to keep going.

We celebrated Hobi's birthday a few days later at Jin and Jungkook's new house, where they had an outdoor firepit. Then, for Yoongi's in March, we had a group getaway to a large log cabin in the mountains. My mate didn't want a big party, instead asking if we could have fried chicken and drinks. What had started out as a quiet celebration between friends and family had turned into a raging party filled with drinking games, karaoke and an impromptu dance party. Unfortunately, with Yoongi, Jin and I being in our early 30's, we didn't cope well with the hangover and spent the better part of the next week suffering.