Chapter 8 - Cara (early winter, 2023)

As we were heading down towards the kitchen, a thought popped into my head

As we were heading down towards the kitchen, a thought popped into my head. "Yoongi, you have nothing of yours here," I said with a hint of panic in my voice. "I should have picked up some things when we were at Sanctuary or in town. I'm so clueless sometimes."

I felt hands landing on my hips before I was spun around. The look in Yoongi's stunning golden eyes was dark and smouldering, taking on a more old-gold hue; it was a little scary... and a lot hot.

"What did I say about people saying not nice things about my mate?" he practically growled, the sound making my knees weak in lust. "I have some things at the room I was renting, but not a lot. How about we go there tomorrow, so I can pick everything up, and tell my landlord that I will no longer be needing the room? In the meantime, I can either wear your clothes to bed, or sleep naked." He smirked at the last statement.

"O-okay," I squeaked out, still flustered by the feeling of his hands on my body. I didn't need to look in a mirror to know my face was bright red, both from slight embarrassment and lust. I wasn't used to people of the opposite sex showing interest in me, which was why at 31 I was still a virgin. That, and the fact that I was saving myself for someone I loved.

"Okay," he repeated, sniffing the air and smirking at my flustered state. I was just grateful that he didn't mention my arousal, which I knew he'd be able to smell. "Come on, Kitten, let's go get things ready for your friends and family."

While Yoongi watched me prepare food for us all, he asked me about my family.

"I'm actually an orphan. I was adopted the day I was born by my parents' best friends," she explained. I detected no distress in her scent, so I just listened. "My mother died in childbirth and my father was a young military man stationed at a base just outside Devlin, the city where my biological and adoptive parents all grew up. Ma – that's my adopted mother – was my mum's best friend that she met on the first day of high school, when both girls ended up liking the same boy. Long story short, they ended up dumping the boy when they found out he was seeing them both, and instead of despising each other because they were 'the other woman', Ma and Mum became best friends."

"And how did your parents end up meeting?" he asked, stealing a piece of the roast chicken I was cutting up. "I assume your dad wasn't that boy?"

I threw my head back and laughed before shaking it. "Nope, that wasn't my dad. Actually, she met my father through Ma. As I said, dad was in the military and he was stationed at the same base where Ma worked as the secretary to the base commander. On one fateful day when her boss was running late, she got to know my father while he waited for his meeting. Having an inkling that my mother would get along with this man, Ma set up a blind date for the two to meet. 10 months later, my parents were married, and together with Ma and Pop, they moved to Samta where Ma and my dad were transferred to the army base here."

Yoongi came and stood beside me, placing his hand upon mine. I loved the warmth of his skin and I used that to help give me strength. "But unfortunately, happy endings were not on the cards for my parents. My father and Pop, who was also a soldier in the army but in a different division, were deployed to fight in the war of San Draco."