Chapter 20 - Cara (early summer, 2024)

"Cara, I have a Detective Park here at reception for you," I heard through the phone from one of the hospital receptionists

"Cara, I have a Detective Park here at reception for you," I heard through the phone from one of the hospital receptionists. As I asked that he be sent up to my office, I wondered why he was here – and alone – especially since it had been three days since our meeting with Taehyung.

"Detective Park," I exclaimed as he walked through my door. He looked even better than he did when I first met him; his hair was styled back with a couple of tendrils brushing his forehead. I realised looking at him now that I wasn't imagining that he had heterochromia, where one eye was an unusual golden-greenish colour, while the other was a deeper blue. His eyes, though unique in their colourings, were bright and welcoming.

"Please, Jimin is okay," he replied with a kind smile that made his plump lips look even more alluring. "I wanted to talk to you earlier. But with what Taehyung told us, I couldn't get away."

"Oh? Is everything okay with the case?" I asked in surprise, wondering why he wanted to speak to me again. "Do you have more questions to ask?"

"Actually, I'm not here about the case," Jimin admitted shyly, the blush adorable on his chubby cheeks as he moved his weight from one foot to the other.

I offered him a seat in one of the chairs at the seating area to the side of my desk, while I took the couch so I could be opposite him. The few seconds waiting for the hybrid to speak felt like an eternity.

"I- You–" he started, pausing to release a big sigh. "There's no easy way to say this."

Fuck, has something happened to Yoongi? To Jin, Felix or one of my friends?

"Cara, you're my mate," Jimin blurted suddenly, sighing and looking relieved afterwards.

"Huh? What?" It felt like it was my turn to have my brain malfunction.

There's no way he said he's my mate... is there?

"I'm sorry to just spring this on you," the Arctic fox said quietly, "especially because you already have a mate."

Shit, what's Yoongi going to say? And is he also Jimin's mate too?

I nodded slowly, not knowing what to say. A thought ran through my head, and I was unable to stop it from slipping out.

"Do you even want me as a mate?"

I hesitated to look at the hybrid, but when I did, I was met with a horrified look.

"How- how can you even ask that?" Jimin exclaimed, clearly offended. The way his bushy white tail hung limply to his side, instead of the way it was wagging happily as he had entered, showed me how much I hurt his feelings with that comment.

"But I already have a mate. What about Yoongi? He's also my destined mate and I'm not leaving him," I said quietly, but I knew because of his hybrid hearing that Jimin would be able to hear every word.