4.

I pull up to the Beacon Hills Preserve sign and hop out of my car.

To be honest, I have no idea why I'm out here. I guess I just... I feel bad for Derek, even though I don't know him. I feel bad that he lost his family. I feel bad 'cause I wasn't exactly the nicest to him earlier.

Granted, he wasn't exactly the nicest either, but we were trespassing.

I start to walk through the woods, and I hug my jacket closer to me.

It's so creepy out here at nighttime, not to mention the fact that there was a body found out here. The killer could still be around, which is terrifying, considering I'm alone and the only form of protection I have... is a pocket knife.

Why did I decide to do this?

I get further and further into the woods when it starts to sprinkle.

Shit. I didn't bring an umbrella.

I pull my hood over my head and pick up the pace as the rain starts to pour down on me. I notice a building in the distance, and I rush toward it. Once I reach it, I peer up at the dark, half-burned mansion and sigh.

This must be the Hale House, the one where his family all burned to death.

I slowly approach the door and hold out my fist to knock.

Should I knock? Is there anyone even staying here? I can't imagine Derek would be staying here.

I lower my fist and grab the doorknob. I twist it, and to my surprise, the knob turns. I push it open and pull out my phone. I turn on my flashlight before taking a deep breath. I walk inside, and the floor creaks underneath my feet. "Hello?" I call out. My voice echo's throughout what's left of the house. I push the door shut and turn around to look around the dark, empty room. "Is anyone here?"

Suddenly, I feel someone grab my upper arms roughly and slam me against one of the walls. "Who the hell are you and why the hell are you here?!" I'm too shocked to answer, so he pulls my hood down to reveal my soaking wet, dark, brunette hair. I slowly look up at him, and his eyes widen slightly when he sees me. He removes his hands and takes a step back.

I can't help but notice that he's kind of attractive.

"S-Sorry. I didn't mean to just... barge in. I didn't know if anyone was here," I admit.

He sighs. "How'd you find this place?"

"I--I don't know. I was just walking when I saw it," I shrug.

"You were blindly walking around in the middle of the woods at night?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I guess I was," I nod.

"Why are you here? This is--," he starts.

"Private property, I know," I cut him off.

He scoffs. "So, why are you here?"

"I... I don't know," I shake my head.

His brows furrow. "You don't know?"

"No. I just-- I don't know. I guess I just felt bad for trespassing earlier and wanted to say sorry," I sigh.

His brows furrow. "You trespassed again to say sorry for trespassing."

I chuckle. "Yeah, I guess it doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you put it that way."

"No, it really doesn't," he shakes his head.

"Well, um, sorry for trespassing again and... barging into your house. I'll, uh, leave you alone now, I guess."

I walk toward the door and open it when he speaks. "Do you want me to walk you to your car?"

I freeze in the doorway and slowly turn around to face him. "Why would you want to do that?"

He hesitates to answer, but he does. "It's dark and it's pouring outside. I wouldn't want you to fall and hurt yourself."

I can't help but let my lips curve into a gentle smile. "Sure."

~ ~ ~

As we're walking through the woods, the rain starts to let up, so I pull my hood down. He glances over at me before speaking. "I'm Derek, by the way."

"I know," I admit. His brows furrow. "I... I know about your family and... what happened to them."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry. That had to have been hard," I frown.

His jaw clenches. "Yeah... It was, but it was a long time ago," Derek states.

I slowly nod. "Right."

"Do I get to know your name?" he asks.

"I didn't realize you cared enough to ask," I comment. He's quiet. "Cassie."

"Isn't it a little past your bedtime, Cassie?" he questions.

I raise a brow and look over at him. "I'm 19."

I notice a flash of shock in his eyes. "Oh... My mistake."

It's quiet between us before I speak. "Well, how old are you?"

"22."

"Oh."

We finally reach my car, and I turn around to look up at him. "Thanks for walking me to my car, and... sorry again for bothering you."

"You weren't bothering me."

"I wasn't?"

"I don't like most people, but... you seem okay," he admits.

I smile. "Good to know."