25.

"Don't you think you were a little harsh on Scott?" I ask. "I mean, breaking his phone? Come on."

"If that were a real situation... he would've been toast," Derek points out.

"I know, but... he's just a kid, Derek. You can't seriously expect him to stay away from a girl he likes," I sigh. "You don't," I add.

"But I would if I had to," Derek admits.

My brows furrow. "Ouch."

"It's the truth. If it were life and death, I'd stay away from you as long as I needed to, regardless of how I feel about you."

"Well, it's not that easy for everyone else," I comment.

"You wouldn't?"

"I'd try if I had to, but I don't know if I'd be successful," I shrug.

"You'd be surprised what you're willing to do when it comes to down to life and death."

"I mean... I'm willing to do anything to protect my family and my friends, but I know my weaknesses, and when I fall for someone, I fall hard. I just know it would be difficult for me to stay away from the person who consumes 90% of my mind," I admit.

"Is that how you feel about me?" he questions.

"Maybe. I can't imagine trying to stay away from you." He glances down at my lips, so I lean over and kiss him softly. "I think you're giving yourself too much credit. I don't think it'd be easy for you to stay away from me."

"Want a bet?"

I snort. "Definitely not."

"Why? Are you afraid you'd lose?"

"I'm not even gonna try to lie. Yes, I'm afraid I'd lose, but I also just... don't want to try," I shrug. He chuckles and kisses me softly.

As we're kissing, he breaks the kiss and tilts his head slightly. "Scott's back."

We leave my room and walk over to Scott's room. We approach the doorway to see him pushing his window shut and locking it. I watch as he pulls his blinds down and peeks out of them. I reach over and flip his light on. He spins around to see us standing in the doorway. "So what happened? Did he talk to you?" Derek asks.

"Yeah. We had a nice conversation about the weather. No, he didn't talk!" Scott exclaims.

"Well, did you get anything off of him? An impression."

"What do you mean?" Scott sighs.

Derek huffs before walking toward him. "Remember, your other senses are heightened. Communication doesn't have to be spoken. What kind of feeling did you get from him?"

"Anger," Scott admits.

"Focused on you?"

"No, not... Not me. But it was definitely anger. I could feel it. Especially when he drew the spiral," Scott states.

"Wait, the what? What'd you just say?"

"He drew this spiral on the window of my car, in the condensation, you know?" Scott explains. Derek's quiet. "What? You have this look like you know what it means."

"No, it's... it's nothing," Derek shakes his head.

My brows furrow.

He starts to walk toward the doorway but Scott stops him. "Wait, wait, wait, wait a second." Derek looks back at him. "You can't do that. You can't ask me to trust you and then just keep things to yourself."

"Doesn't mean anything," Derek assures him.

"You buried your sister under a spiral," I state making him look over at me. "What does it mean?"

Derek sighs. "Neither of you want to know."

With that, he walks past me and down the hall. I shake my head and roll my eyes.