26.

"Derek, why are we here?" I ask as we step out of his car.

"'Cause I need help," Derek responds as we head inside the Beacons Crossing Home. 

"From your uncle? He's comatose, remember?" I remind him.

"I know... but maybe he can give me something," Derek sighs.

We walk down the hall and approach the open doorway. Derek glances at me before walking over to his uncle's bed. He turns Peter toward him as he takes a seat on the bed. "I need your help," Derek starts. "If you can hear me, I need you to give me a sign. Blink. Raise a finger. Anything. Just... Just something to point me in the right direction, okay?" I lean against the wall and cross my arms. "Someone killed Laura. Your niece. Laura?" he continues when his voice breaks. "Whoever he is, he's an Alpha now. But he's one without a pack. Which means he's not as strong," he admits. "I can take him. But I have to find him first. Look, if you know something, just give me a sign. Is it one of us? Someone else make it out of the fire?" I look over at Peter, but he doesn't move a muscle. "Just give me anything. Blink, raise a finger, just anything." I lower my head. "Say something!" he shouts.

"Let him go," the nurse warns. "You think after six years of this, yelling at him is going to get a response?"

"You got a better method?" Derek replies.

"Patience. He'll respond if you give him the time."

"I don't have any more time," Derek states before walking past her and out the door.

I follow him outside, and we approach his car. I notice a piece of paper sticking out from under his windshield wipers. "Derek." He looks up at me, and I point at the piece of paper. He grabs, unfolds, and looks it over. He glances around before opening his car door.

We both hop in his car before he drives through the parking lot.

~ ~ ~

"Why are we here? They're closed," I point out as we approach the closed sign on the door. He doesn't answer before he pushes the door open.

"Scott, you're late again. I hope this isn't getting to be a habit," Dr. Deaton comments from the other room. Dr. Deaton looks up to see Derek and I standing in the doorway. "Can I help you?"

"I hope so," Derek replies. "I want to know about the animal you found with the spiral on its side?"

His brows furrow. "Excuse me? What animal?"

"Three months ago. The deer." Derek unfolds the piece of paper and holds it up. "You remember this?"

"Oh, yes. It's just a deer. And I didn't find it. They called me because they wanted to know if I'd ever seen anything like it."

"What'd you tell 'em?" Derek questions.

"I told them no."

Derek folds the piece of paper and walks inside the room.  "Did you hear that?"

I shift nervously, and Deaton glances at me. "Hear what?"

"The sound of your heartbeat rising."

Oh, God.

"Excuse me?"

"It's the sound of you lying," Derek states making my eyes widen.