23.

My phone buzzes, and I pick it up. I look down to see that it's Derek. I smile and answer the call. "Hey, Derek."

"Cassie, I need you to listen to me," Derek starts.

I immediately notice the tone in his voice. "What happened?"

"You can't come to the house, okay?"

My heart drops. "Why not?"

"You just can't."

"Derek--"

"Promise me you won't," he interrupts me.

"But--"

"Please."

"Okay. Okay, yeah. I-I won't," I respond.

He sighs. "I have to go."

"But--"

He hangs up, and I slowly lower my phone.

Well, that was odd... I hope everything's okay.

~ ~ ~

My bedroom door bursts open, and I jump. I look up to see Derek standing in the doorway without a shirt on. "Derek? What--," I start as he shuts the door and leans against it. "What happened?" He sighs as he leans his head back. I slowly walk toward him, and he opens his eyes to look at me. "What's wrong?"

"A few hunters came to the house," Derek starts. "They wanted to know who the Alpha is, but when they realized I didn't know... I became expendable." My eyes widen. "I ran, and I didn't know where else to go, so I came here."

"Well, are you okay?" I ask as I examine him for any wounds.

"It's nothing I can't heal from," he assures me.

"That's why you told me to stay away from the house," I state.

He sighs. "Yeah... I didn't want you to show up at the wrong time and get hurt."

"I understand," I nod.

"I also found out that... the hunters didn't kill my sister. It was the Alpha. They just used her as bait to try and catch me."

My heart drops, and my expression softens. "I'm so sorry, Derek." I wrap my arms around his neck and hug him. I feel his hands graze my back, but they don't fully rest against my skin, so I pull away to look at him. "What? Is there something else?

"No. That's it, but... I'm starting to think I shouldn't have come here."

My brows furrow. "What do you mean?"

"I don't want you to get hurt, Cassie. Scott's a werewolf, so he can at least protect himself somewhat, but you can't."

"Derek—"

"No, you know I'm right. There are hunters out there that was willing to break their code to get to me. I don't want you to get hurt in the crossfire," he sighs.

"I know, but... that's too bad 'cause you're not getting rid of me that easily."

"Cassie—"

"No. I'm not gonna step aside just because things are getting more dangerous. I told you're not alone in this, and I meant that. You're part of my family now, and that means I'm willing to do anything to protect you," I state. He pulls me into his strong arms, and I smile weakly. "It's gonna be okay. We're gonna figure this out."