37.

I stare at the ceiling above me, and there's a knock at my door. "Cassie, it's Mom. Can I come in?" I don't respond. "Okay, I'm coming in." My door opens, and I don't bother to look at her. "Cassie, you've been in bed for days." I'm quiet, so she walks over to me and takes a seat on my bed. "Please... Just tell me what's wrong."

I slowly sit up and lean my back against my headboard. "I--," I start before sighing. "My boyfriend and I broke up."

"Boyfriend? I didn't even know you had a boyfriend," Mom admits.

"We weren't exactly public about it," I shrug.

She sighs. "Who was he?"

"You don't know him," I shake my head. "But... you would've liked him if you met him."

"I'm sure I would've... I'm sorry." She reaches forward and pushes my hair out of my face.

"I didn't know him that long, and we were together for even less time than we knew each other, but... I know I love him," I sigh. "I had this moment in the shower after the events that happened at the school, and that's when I realized that I love him. I was-- I was having a panic attack, I think, and when I thought about him... it stopped," I continue. "He's a really great guy, Mom."

"Why'd you two break up?"

"Uh... things got complicated," I respond.

"They always do," she nods. "Do you think you guys can work through it?"

"I-- I don't know if we can," I shake my head.

"Well, if you really love this guy, you should try to work through it," she suggests.

I smile weakly. "Thanks, Mom."

"That's what I'm here for." She leans over and kisses the side of my head. "I gotta get to work, but if you need anything, just call, okay?"

"I will," I nod.

"I love you, Cassie."

"I love you too, Mom."

With that, she leaves my room and shuts the door behind herself. I reach over and grab my sketchpad off my desk. I flip to the sketch of Derek, and I sigh. "I miss you," I whisper as I run my fingers along the drawing. I shut my book and toss it aside. I roll out of bed and leave my room. I walk down the hall and down to the kitchen. I open the fridge to see a bottle of wine in the fridge. I raise a brow before grabbing the bottle from the fridge. I return to my room and shut and lock the door behind myself.

I curl up on my bed and turn the TV on. I pop the bottle open and down some of it.