40.

As I'm sitting at my desk with my head in my hands, there's a knock at my door. "It's open," I call out. I hear my door open and close, but I don't bother to look up. "Scott, is that you?" No response. I lower my hands. "Stiles?" There's still no response. I carefully reach into my pocket and pull out my knife. "Mom?" Once again, there's no response. I exhale before jumping out of my chair and spinning around. I point my knife at the person behind me, and my eyes widen when I see who's standing behind me. "Derek?" I gasp.

"Hey, Cassie," Derek greets.

I practically jump into his arms as I wrap my arms around his neck and hug him. He chuckles as his arms rest around my waist. I feel a couple of tears roll down my cheeks, and I pull away and look at him. "You're okay," I state as I examine his face. "You're alive."

"I am," he nods.

"How?"

"I got away, and I was able to heal," he admits.

He sets me down, and I look up at him. "I thought you were dead," I sigh.

"I know. I'm sorry."

"No... No, you have no reason to apologize. I'm the one who ran like a coward. I'm the one who left you for dead. I--I didn't protect you," I shake my head.

"I'm glad you ran. You could've gotten seriously hurt if you tried to help me," he points out.

"What if you weren't able to get away, though? What if you had--," I start before cutting myself off. "I can't lose you."

"You're not going to," he assures me.

I grab the collar of his shirt and pull him down to my lips. The second his lips touch mine, his hands wrap around my waist, and he grips my back. My back presses against the wall behind me, and his hands trail up my shirt. I feel his fingers graze my bare skin, but after a few moments, we break apart breathlessly, and I sigh. "There's something I realized while you were gone," I start. He slowly nods. "I know we haven't known each other for very long, but I was so scared that I'd lost the chance to tell you how I really feel," I continue before swallowing the lump in my throat. "I love you," I admit. His eyes widen. "I love you, Derek Hale."

His lips curve into a smile. "I love you, Cassie McCall."

He leans down and reconnects our lips, but this kiss is gentle, sweet, and so full of love. However, the kiss grows more passionate as his tongue slides into my mouth. Just as things are getting good, he breaks the kiss. "As much as I would love to do this right now... I can't," Derek admits.

"Is it the full moon?" I ask.

He nods. "I might be able to control myself, but I can still lose control... and I don't want to hurt you."

I smile. "I understand. It's okay. I'm just happy you're alive."