44.

I tap my nails against my desk when my door opens. I look over to see Scott standing in the doorway. "Scott. Hey... Sorry for missing the big game," I sigh.

"Don't worry about it," Scott shrugs. "Did you know that Derek joined his uncle? You know, his uncle that just so happens to be the Alpha?"

I sigh. "Why do I think I'm not with him anymore?" His brows furrow. "I don't want to be associated with a psycho like Peter. I don't trust him."

"I don't either. They cornered me in the locker room after the game and tried to get me to join their pack. You know, reach my full "potential." Whatever that means," Scott starts. "He told me he wants to kill the people responsible for the fire and what happened to him and his family."

"I mean, I can't say I blame him," I comment.

"Cassie!" Scott scolds.

"It's true. Scott, if it were my family that was brutally murdered in a fire, I'd want revenge too," I sigh.

"You would resort to murder?"

"Absolutely," I state. "What else happened?"

"He stuck his claws in the back of my neck, and I saw the fire and--and other stuff. I don't know what it was. It was like his--"

"His memories?" I suggest.

"Yeah, they were his memories... so what are we gonna do?"

"Well, I'm not gonna do anything. I don't know why Derek would join Peter. I have no clue... but that doesn't change the way I feel about Derek. I still trust him. I just don't trust Peter."

"So, you're not gonna do anything?"

"I'll go along with whatever you do, but no. I'm not gonna go out of my way to betray Derek."

~ ~ ~

Stiles pulls up, and all three of us look over at Jackson and Allison's dad. "Yo," Scott greets.

"What's up?" Stiles adds.

"Is everything okay?" Scott asks.

"Hey, Scott," Mr. Argent greets. "Your friend here was having car trouble. We're just taking a look."

"Wow," Stiles comments.

"There's a shop right down the street. I'm sure they have a tow truck," Scott points out.

"Yeah. You want a ride?" Stiles offers.

Scott opens his door.

"Hey, come on, Jackson. You're way too pretty to be out here all by yourself," I smirk.

He hesitates at first, but he finally walks toward Stiles' Jeep. Scott hops out when Mr. Argent speaks. "Hey, guys." We look over at him, and he opens the driver's door of Jackson's car. He reaches in and starts the engine with ease. "Told you I knew a few things about cars."

We're quiet as he walks over to his car and once he's inside, he drives off. Stiles hops out of his Jeep and walks over to them. "What are you, following me now?" Jackson questions angrily.

"Yes, you stupid freaking idiot. You almost gave away everything right there!" Scott spits.

"What are you talking about?"

"He think you're the second Beta," Scott states.

"What?" Jackson scoffs.

"He thinks you're me!" Scott shouts before hitting the side of Stiles' Jeep.

"Dude, my Jeep," Stiles frowns.

"I can hear your heart beating from a mile away, literally! Now he thinks that there's something wrong, and now I have to keep my eye on you, so he doesn't kill you, too!" Scott exclaims.

He goes to punch Stiles' Jeep again, but Stiles stops him. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Okay, okay, okay. How about we just step away from Stiles' Jeep?"

"You know what, this is your problem, not mine. Okay, I didn't say anything, which means you're the one that's gonna get me killed. Okay, this is your fault," Jackson snaps as he pushes Scott against the Jeep.

"Can we stop hitting my Jeep?" Stiles groans. Scott pushes Jackson back. "Yo, all right, guys, stop. All right?"

"When they come after you, I won't be able to protect you. I can't protect anyone," Scott admits as he looks over at Stiles and me.

"Why are you looking at us?" Stiles asks.

"You know what? Now you have to do it. Get me what I want, and I will be fine protecting myself."

"No, you won't! Just trust me, all it does is make things worse," Scott insists.

"Oh, yeah, really? You can hear anything you want and run faster than humanly possible. Sounds like a real hardship, McCall."

"Yeah, I can run really fast now, except half the time, I'm running away from people trying to kill me!" Scott snaps. Jackson rolls his eyes. "And I can hear things like... Like my girlfriend telling people that she doesn't trust me anymore right before breaking up with me. I'm not lying to you! It ruins your life."

Jackson shakes his head. "It ruined your life. You had all the power in the world and you didn't know what to do with it. You know what it's actually like? It's like you turned 16 and someone bought you a Porsche when they should've started you out with a nice little Honda. Me? I drive a Porsche."

With that, he hops back in his car and drives off.