27.

Deaton's eyes open, and he glances around. "Oh, God."

"Are you protecting someone?" Derek questions.

"All right. The key to my drug locker is in my pocket," Deaton states.

"I don't want drugs. I want to know why you're lying," Derek snaps as he grabs the collar of his shirt.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Derek spins him around and lifts the chair up with ease. "What are you doing to me? What do you want?"

"I want to know who you are or who you're protecting," Derek spits.

"Derek, stop!" I order. He doesn't put Deaton down, so I walk over to him. "I said stop!" I shout angrily. He drops the chair on the floor and slowly turns around to look at me. "You're getting desperate, Derek. This isn't you, and you know it isn't." He tilts his head at me as he steps toward me. I slowly back away when my butt hits the counter behind me.

"Cassie, you're either with me... or you're against me," Derek states.

I scoff. "Obviously, I'm with you, but this is wrong. The Derek I know wouldn't go around hurting innocent people."

"He's not innocent."

"You don't know that. Just because he was lying doesn't mean he's the Alpha," I sigh.

He narrows his eyes at me. "Maybe you're not ready for this... Maybe I should've done this alone." My eyes widen. "I'm better off alone, anyways." He walks over to Deaton and raises his fist, but I run over to him and catch his fist.

"Don't," I plead.

He pushes me back so hard that my back slams against the wall. I inhale sharply as pain shoots up my back. "What are you doing?!" Scott exclaims from the doorway.

"Scott, get out of here!" Deaton shouts.

Derek punches Deaton in the face. "Stop! Stop!" 

"Look, when he's conscious, he can keep himself from healing, but unconscious, he can't."

"Are you out of your mind? What are you talking about?" Scott asks.

"You want to know what the spiral means, Scott? It's our sign for vendetta, for revenge. It means he won't stop killing until he's satisfied!"

"You think he's the Alpha?" Scott questions.

"We're about to find out," Derek states. He goes to punch him, but Scott catches his arm. My eyes widen when I see that Scott has shifted. He throws Derek's arm aside as he growls, and Derek slowly backs up. Scott looks down at his claws, and I watch as he shifts back to his normal self.

He can control it.

"Hit him or push my sister again, and then you'll see me get angry," Scott warns.

~ ~ ~

"Do have a plan?" Derek asks.

"Just give me an hour," Scott answers.

"Then what?" Derek presses.

"Meet me at the school. In the parking lot," Scott replies. Derek huffs and glances over at me. I avoid eye contact with him, so he leaves. "Are you okay?"

"Not really," I admit.

"How's your back?"

"Sore, but I'll live," I shrug.

"What was he thinking?"

"He wasn't. He's desperate, Scott. And he's angry. And stressed. And alone. And confused. And he doesn't know who he can trust anymore," I sigh. "I don't even know who I can trust anymore."

"Well, you can trust me. You know that, right?"

I nod. "I know."