Chapter 7 Social Awkwardness

It was almost two o'clock and Jane had just entered Gringotts. She had managed the expansion, even a bit larger than her luggage, about the size of two steamer trunks or a midsized closet. She bowed to the goblin on the way in and was quickly escorted to Griphook's office.

"About time you got here," Griphook stood from behind his desk.

"Sorry," Jane held a sealed letter up, "could you send this to my brother?" Jane had written it when she needed a break from the expansion charm. She had actually written this letter many times rewriting and rewriting. She hated feeling this nervous. She wanted to know more about him but not reveal to much about herself. If she didn't tell him anything though, he was less likely to say anything about himself.

Jane passed him the letter for Sable. She felt like she knew the words off by heart.

Hello Sable

I am safe, and have a place to stay. I grew up not knowing I had brothers or any other family other than Karen and the man she was with. So I haven't heard anything bad about you, because I hadn't heard anything at all. I'd like to get to know you, maybe even one day meet all of you but not yet.

I have to make it clear though, just in case. Karen and her partner Brody Cattivo (that was the name he went by) are not good people. I am not currently staying with them, and I won't be in the future if I have anything to say about it. I also realized Brody Cattivo was an alias for Brody Maless. I'm sure you've seen the papers.

To be honest, I grew up not knowing anything about the wizarding world. Or my own family apparently. What are our brothers like? What are you like? What do you all do?

I hope everyone is well

It had taken a few minutes before signing the paper simply your sister.

Griphook waved the envelope in the air, "you want this untraceable?"

"Yes please," Jane nodded her head, feeling a bit twitchy. Part of her wanted to grab it back and shove it in her backpack. It felt like to much of a concession. To provide so much. Jane knew she was taking a risk, but there would be no give if they didn't take, at least a little.

She felt her stomach turn about the papers she had just handed over and latched on to the first available distraction he brain provided. "I read in a modern history book about another goblin named Griphook, any relation?" Jane immediately wished she had kept her mouth shut. Just because she wanted to ignore her family scars, didn't mean she should poke at someone else's.

Griphook looked at her like she was mad and maybe she was. "Doubtful, Griphook is an anglicized translation of the name from Gobbledegook. Several of our names translate to the name Griphook, though most try for creative spelling to clear up the issue. I just never bothered."

"What's your name in gobbledegook, if you don't mind me asking."

"Not at all, most wizards never bother to learn gobbledegook." Griphook went on to say something that sounded a bit like a mix between someone struggling to breath while imitating a landslide. However, Jane could have sworn she heard what sounded like Ezalha Grippenhockha.

Jane tried to repeat it back and Griphook seemed mildly impressed. "That wasn't bad."

"It'll need practice."

He nodded his head, before waving his long fingers towards a door. Shall we go see the house?"

"Yes please," Jane felt herself smiling. This would be interesting. Griphook had said he would show her how to travel there by magic

She followed him through a door and down some hallways before coming to a room with several large fireplaces. They were made of the same stone as the pillars in the entrance with gold detailing and were tall enough that Jane could stand in one. They also had bright green flames flickering happily in every single one. On closer inspection each fireplace had a small pot to the side of it, each filled with powder.