Chapter 25 Detention Is A Fuck-You Letter Word

Walking through, the door Jane's steps faltered. Mel sat in front of her at a desk scribbling away. Brindlemore looked up and waved her in.

"You'll be writing two rolls of parchment on the legislation on protective circles and their historical use. If you don't finish tonight, then it will be handed in next class. Get to it."

"Yes Professor," Jane sat down at the desk to the right of Mel and pulled out some parchment. Soon all that could be heard was the quiet scratch of their quills across parchment. Jane was lucky she had brought her bag. She was even luckier that she had left her textbook in it. She may have had an unusual memory, but she also liked to have context.

It felt like an hour must have past when a Ravenclaw rushed into the room, cheeks red and out of breath.

"Professor, there's trouble on the second floor and the Headmistress is calling for you," he gasped.

"What is it?"

"Err. Well, Professor there is a problem in the staff room."

Brindlemore grumbled under her breath about wasting her time before she stood. "You two are not to move from your seats. Understood?"

They both nodded. They turned to watch the professor rush from the room, followed closely by the Ravenclaw.

Mel promptly dropped his quill before turning in his seat to watch her. Jane could hear his fingers tapping away on the desk, the staccato rhythm bouncing off the walls. She ignored him and worked on her essay. Given she had already read her text book cover to cover, the essay was easy enough.

"So, what you in for?"

Jane looked up, catching the look in Mel's eyes. Maybe if she hadn't been writing him and her brothers she wouldn't have recognized that glimmer of silent mischief. She decided to ignore it, for now. "I got in trouble."

"For...?"

"Being in the wrong place at the wrong time apparently. You?"

"Me? A minor fashion-fopa."

Jane stared at him, debating whether or not to ask. Whatever, she decided. She was curious and he was her brother, even if he didn't know it. She wanted to know him at least this much. She sighed, quickly scratching out a line and altering it. "Ok, I'll bite. How exactly did that get you detention with Brindlemore?"

"Apparently I'm just irritating. Natural talent I suppose."

Jane sat back, looking over at Mel. She watched him grin lazily at her. This,she thought, has got to be a set up. No way no how was she having encounters with two different brother in one day after this long.

She tried to think of this from their point of view. A strange girl, someone with no wizards last name had just burned down part of the owlery to keep someone from taking her mail. Well she sounded nuts for sure. She idly wondered if they could think that she had sent those packages. Or he was here for another reason entirely.

Jane gave him a look. She remembered how Sable had warned her about Mel's pranks. Maybe it wasn't that they were suspicious of her but he had his own plans. Internally she shrugged. She didn't think anyone outside the family knew about Mel's penchant for pranks, but that didn't mean that one clever Slytherin could not figure it out.

"So, why are you actually here?"

He tipped his head, the picture of innocence. "Detention?"

"Does anyone ever fall for that bullshit?"

He grinned, unabashed. "What could you possibly mean?"

"You're here because you want to be. So, what is it?"