Chapter 62 I Should've Stayed In Bed

Jane tried not to panic as she tried to push back the darkness and get her bearings. I must be in the adjacent classroom, she reasoned, the one across from History. She didn't think that classroom was even being used and from what she could focus on, it must have been abandoned a while ago. Some desks and chairs were stacked along the side wall and a teachers desk had some old books stacked on top. From what she could see the room was covered in dust and cobwebs, low light filtering in through a chalky window catching little flecks in the light. The rest was shrouded in a thick shadow that seemed to cake the room, the light barely penetrating through in places.

She rolled over and tried to push herself up as she heard footsteps coming towards her.

"Now, now, don't get up," a voice said as Jane felt a foot push into her back. "You know this is all your fault, right? None of this would have happened if you had just known your place."

In the low light and her head buzzing Jane couldn't seem to place the voice from behind her. Her thoughts seemed to be slippery like water. She ended up pushing her magic out and letting it fill the room. Her sight seemed to clear slightly but the shooting pain behind her eyes told her she would pay for this little trick later.

Jane choked on the dust flying through the air as her magic met with something foreign. Trying to focus she realized it encircled the entire room. She pushed against it and gasped. She recognized the feeling of silencing, and warding. It took her a second more to recognize darkness.

Explains my ruddy vision, she thought bitterly as she felt the weight lift off her back, only for the person to kick her side. Jane curled up instinctively pulling her knees to her chest, even as her mind screamed at her to get up.

She waited for the pain to come but the only thing she felt was muted. It took her foggy mind a second to figure it out.

Her pendent and her bracelet, not to mention her earing. They both had strong protective charms over them, some layered on for years. Getting kicked still hurt but was manageable.

With her magic spread around the room, Jane could sense when her attackers magic shot towards her. Jane had a foggy second realizing she should do something before it hit her and dissipated.

Her protection must work better on magic then physical attacks. Jane was absurdly glad she had wrapped her glamor around the pieces her family had given to her, otherwise this jack ass might try to take them off her.

Jane set her magic to work on the bindings on the room. She figured as much as she wanted to get the fuck out of this room that being able to see needed to com first. Who knows, maybe the silencing and warding would come in handy for her.

Jane wrapped her magic around the darkness, focusing her power before giving a tug. She didn't want it to be too sudden. Let this little shit think that they were still the predator. Her skin felt like a lightning storm again but she ignored it for now. As the magic started to unweave Jane caught movement out of the corner of her eye and rolled on instinct. The foot grazed her arm and the curse shot after her missed but Jane stilled anyways. Playing possum would buy her some time.

She finally felt the magic break apart and dissolve. Looks up through lidded eyes. Max was standing above her, a look of smug rage contorting her face. Something froze inside her as an unfortunate realization came to her. Max didn't get her hands dirty and she didn't get caught.

Jane wasn't supposed to make it out of this room. For one of the first times in her life, Jane thought it might be smart to keep her sarcastic commentary to herself.

Another spell flew through the air and Jane rolled again, the floor exploding where she had been as chips of stone ripped through the air. She could feel a stinging above her eye and tried to blink away the warm red blood flowing into her eye.