Chapter 50 Actually Fuck This

Jane walked down the halls of Gringotts a few days later as she followed behind a goblin. She was wearing the black robes she had received from Mort and it seemed to glide around her. She had received some candy and books from her friends, a few copper pill bug things from Oscar he was going to have to explain and a set of earrings from Neryssa. Apparently Draven's brother Scorpios' fiancé had recommended them because they repelled the effects of Amortentia, which was a love potion that was totally legal. When Jane had looked up what it was her stomach rolled. She had sent back asking why it wasn't illegal and pointed out how it could have a similar use as a Muggle drug. Neryssa hadn't known and Jane figured she would do a bit more research.

Jane entered behind the goblin as it led her into Griphook's office. He was waiting behind a table with a large swath of clean parchment unrolled over it. "Hello Miss Blackthorne. Are you ready?"

"Hello Griphook. I'm ready."

"Then let's begin. You will need to give seven drops of blood into this potion and then we will have to wait seven minutes before poring it onto the parchment."

"Alright," she nodded. Jane was handed a long needle and pricked her finger, letting seven drops full into the potion bottle. The prick healed quickly and Jane quietly chatted with Griphook about the Basilisk sale as they waited.

Eventually there was a quiet chiming from the potion and Griphook collected it before unceremoniously dumping the contents onto the paper. The potion seemed to absorb right into the parchment as if going straight through it.

Ink began to pool up, splotchy words slowly forming. Jane saw her mane appear before the ink ran slightly while her brothers names came in crisp and dark. She watched as more names began to rise out of the parchment, her father and Birth Givers. Her father's brother and his parents. The words deceased formed beneath his father and mother's names. Jane's attention was grabbed as the ink started to leak from her mother's name, not as much as her own but more smeared as if the name had trouble forming.

"It appears that-" Griphook froze as another name formed beside the Birth Givers name. Jane caught a glimpse of it before it was washed away in ink. Jane felt a tug on her magic, somewhere just behind her chest and then it was gone. The parchment started to bubble with ink as it washed over names and flooding across the table. Griphook started making guttural angry shrieks that Jane was pretty sure were curses in his native tongue. With a flick of his wrist the ink froze as it reached dangerously close to the edge just before spilling off.

The parchment dried instantly as the ink settled onto the page. "What the hell was that," Jane asked as Griphook grabbed her wrist.

"You need to go. That was old magic and someone will be coming," he said tugging her along.

She grabbed the parchment and shoved it into her satchel as she was dragged away, crumpling it in the process. "Who's coming?"

"Lord Emrys."

"The guy from the test?"

"He is not someone to be trifled with. He is old and powerful and not completely human," Griphook rushed out as he pushed her out the door and down the hall. "The tests only do that when the person is powerful. Muggles don't show up at all and regular wizards have their names show but that!" They quickly emerged into a room surrounded in large fireplaces, each taller than a grown man and sporting green flames crackling away. ""Go quickly," he said as he pushed her into a Floo.

Instead of the strange sparkling warmth Jane had grown to associate with Floo travel she bumped into something solid. She started to tumble backwards when she felt an arm latch around her back catching her.