Chapter 46 Be Nice And Leave

It was the day Christmas break started that the Aurors descended on the school. Jane figured they wanted interview the teachers without as may students sniffing about.

Jane had been walking with Roman, Draven and Neryssa. Racheal and Lyle where staying behind for Christmas. Racheal said her Uncle was traveling and Lyle had just shrugged when asked. Apparently Neryssa was going to stay over with Draven while her mother went to France for the holidays.

Roman said he was going to celebrate with his father while discreetly tapping the pouch of books from the Chamber of Secrets. They hadn't gone back since then but figured they had used up a considerable amount of luck the last few months.

Oscar was staying behind because, as he put it, "The pudding!" No, she had no ruddy idea what exactly made this a break through ad he had refused to elaborate. Lyle had simply shook his head with a resigned look. Then again most people wore that face around Oscar.

As they stepped onto the platform, there was loud pops from every direction. A sea of red appeared all around them and several people jumped. The blood seemed to drain from Romans face and Jane stepped closer.

"Who are they?"

"Aurors."

Jane nodded. She had never to her knowledge seen an Auror in what she assumed were their official robes before. Everyone on the platform seemed to have frozen with the unexpected arrivals but when the Aurors started moving towards the school, red robes flapping behind them, the students revived.

Everyone quickly got onto the train while trying not to draw attention. Jane grabbed Roman and dragged him on. Neryssa and Daven were quick to follow.

She knew, well had hoped, they would get their asses in gear and investigate but somehow hadn't realised they would have that... energy about them. They didn't feel like detectives or Police officers. They felt like a firing squad. Jane tried to supress the shiver that raced down her back.

The train ride was hushed. No one felt much like talking. Draven and Neryssa played exploding snaps and Roman held the pouch to him carefully, as if an Auror would pop out from behind the door and snatch it from him. Jane silently rubbed Smudge's fur as he slept in the pocket of her robes.

Soon enough they were at the station and Jane waved bye before marching into the crowd like she could see someone she knew. She easily past behind a larger crowd and made a sharp left towards the large fireplaces lining the wall. She slipped in and flooed away in a burst of green flame.

Jane landed easily in the Lighthouse and stepped out. What she saw made a smile break out across her face. The room had been fixed up before but now it was clean with the paint perfect and the smell of herbs in the air. The living room was much the same, the couch against the far wall and not much else in the room but some wooden chairs. It was the small things. The chairs had been polished and gleamed, the couch mended to perfection and gauzy curtains on either side of the long windows that flanked the fireplace.

As Jane stepped forwards Pidge popped up in front of her.

She felt the smile pull at her lips. "Hello Pidge."

"Welcome home Mistress."

"Thanks. The house looks amazing Pidge!"

"Thank you Mistress. Pidge is making dinner and Faust is outside. Pidge has put all of Mistresses books into the library."

As he spoke Jane freed Smudge from her pocket and let the kitten go. It wasn't as small as it used to be but wasn't yet full grown either. It started to purr and rub against Pidge. "Thanks Pidge. Do you need any help with anything?"