Chapter 58 Not Super Into Giving A Shit

Jane was wondering how irritated she could be, and was beginning to think she had the answer. Her world was going to shit in a flaming handbasket shot out of a bloody canon. After Mr. O'King finished talking all hell broke loose. Potter didn't seem to know what to do and Jane got the feeling that, although his friend had been a werewolf and he was a bloody freaking Auror that he hadn't actually had all that much experience with the lot.

So Potter freaked a little, Roxanne freaked completely and Teddy just looked even more like he was wishing the floor would swallow him whole. From Crabtree's lack of reaction she guessed he already knew. She felt like hitting her own forehead. All the staff probably knew. From what she had read a lot of the laws that had restricted their movements in the past had been lifted and new ones placed to protect them and their right to jobs.

Didn't mean it always happened or that they always said anything. Her talk with Madame Pomfrey proved that.

Potter had seemed to get his bearings and scolded Roxanne for her outburst. Then scolded her for jumping to conclusions. Jane got the feeling he had some experience with the last one.

That had been when Crabtree broke in. He had effectively shut the whole thing down, telling Potter and Teddy to leave and that the Headmistress would be informed of this incident. Crabtree had then informed Roxanne that he would be talking to Professor Kraven as her head of house about what her punishment would be for harassment.

Jane had been escorted back to the Slytherin common room by Crabtree before her friends descended on her. Apparently when Roman had finished talking to Crabtree he had seen O'King run after the Viking like professor.

It had been a few days since then and other then the glares from the Gryffindor table they were basically ignoring her.

Which was fucking irritating. They pulled something. They got caught. Roxanne should take her lumps and move on. Instead she was being a whiny bitch about it.

The fact that all the teacher were also now watching her only added to the stress. Jane hadn't been back to the library much since then and she had managed not to have to talk to Mr. O'King at all since then. Not that she was avoiding it per say. She just hadn't ha much reason to go back.

The lie sounded flat even in her head. It made her want to growl but she had kept a relaxed face, if a bit cloudy.

That of course ended when Professor Scarsa had cornered her after classes. The women had stood over her and breathed deeply.

"You're not a werewolf," she had said deeply.

"No," said Jane. She tried to force herself to breath. The professor was just odd. Wrong in some infinite way.

"Nasty business. I'm so glad it could be sorted so easily." The women leaned in slightly and Jane could just feel her warm breath against her cheek. "A pity, something so disturbing as this accusation could take place and after all this trouble. Really a pity."

"Quite. I have to get to the library professor."

"Of course," Scarsa said before waving her off. The women remained where she was, so Jane had had to slide against the wall in till she was out of reach before rushing away. The women filled with unease, like thunderstorms brewing under her skin. It made her fingertips tingle and her legs itch to run.

And this is what had led to her standing in the middle of a freaking god damn bog. Well a boggy outcrop of the damn lake at least. Jane had been trying to go for a walk without feeling stares on her back and had definitely gone farther then she should have. Not cause she shouldn't go into the forbidden forest but, cause you know, bog. The looks that she was sure were meant to elicit guilt but only succeeded at making her want to make funny faces and possibly sometimes grind out their eyes.