Chapter 8 Charming and Irresponsible (*Irresistible)

The next few days went by in a flash. She spent the Sunday sorting her bags for school, further expanding her luggage, and buying last minute books, including one on symbols and omens. The day after that she popped in to the Lighthouse to check on Pidge, who had already finished with the curses, hexes and Jinx that where placed around and had moved on to strengthening the wards. This left Jane to begin going through the books, shoving some into her backpack while storing some of the books she had already read in the library, mainly the ones she though Hogwarts might not think appropriate. Some of the ones she bought from Knockturn could get pretty out there.

When she finished that, she began to organise the books on the shelves, only to get side tracked by a fascinating book on reading tea leaves for portents of doom.

In conclusion to this, Pidge may have found her lying on the ground reading, with stacks of books surrounding her while being completely covered in dust. She had never seen him so frustrated before. He magicked the dust off her, and then taught her the spell after she begged for almost five minutes.

Pidge also took the time to ask her about her bag.

"Mistress you magicked you're bag, but you not done any wardings?"

"Wardings," Jane asked, tilting her head slightly. She remembered Griphook talking to Pidge about the wardings for the island, that they were a kind of defense.

"Yes Mistress, to keeps people out."

Jane nearly slapped her head. How stupid could she get. Of course there was a magical lock to keep snoops out. She remembered reading something about wardings on buildings to deter muggles but hadn't considered the options, too caught up with her other experiments. She was sort on time now too, but Pidge could do it.

"Pidge could you ward my bag to show me how and I'll bring the other two round tomorrow too."

"Of course Pidge can but Mistress can also summon Pidge to her room to ward the others."

Jane kept forgetting that. She quickly agreed and Pidge set to work.

After they talked about what rooms need the most attention. The bathroom needed to have updated. She decided to keep the claw foot tub, add an old porcelain sink and a toilet. She also decided to keep the old tiles. The kitchen they argued about a bit. Pidge said they didn't need to update it at all, but Jane thought that a new oven, and a fridge were necessary. In the end, they agreed to spruce up paint and stain without adding anything. Pidge argued that magic could do everything she was talking about and he would be the one cooking the most anyways. Plus, it would save money.

How the house elf already knew her Achilles heel was probably due to Griphook, if she had to guess.

Tuesday was spent with her and Pidge going through the furniture in the guest room, sorting it into pieces that she wanted to use, things that would be used but had to be repaired first and things that could be cannibalised to fix others. She had also brought Smudge with her so he could investigate his new surroundings. From the way he leapt from room to room, only to zoom back told her he liked the place. Pidge had been nervous of the purring monster but quickly fell in love, scolding him gently when Smudge knocked things over. They worked out where the pieces should go, and anything they would need to get. Mostly it consisted of heavy wooden pieces that were made to be both functional and beautiful. Most of the paint had chipped away, leaving a lot of pale sun bleached furniture.

They had found a wood table they set in the center of the kitchen to use as a dining table, along with two wooden chairs and what Jane thought was a piano stool. The living room she left pretty much the same. She had removed the canvas cloth to reveal an old red couch. The velvet was worn bare in places but it was incredibly soft and surprisingly comfortable. She claimed the bedroom with the windows that continued onto the ceiling as her own and added a trunk she found to the end of the bed and a side table.