~Year 5~ The First Decree

The rest of the weekend went smoothly. I had spent most of it catching up on my homework. The last burst of autumn sunshine persisted making the common room nice and warm. Quidditch practice had also picked up again leaving little free time. Lucille and Astoria had decided to walk with me to Quidditch practice and watch since it was still nice outside. It wasn't until we were halfway across the sunlit common room did we notice the addition to the room that had already attracted the attention of a small group of people.

A large sign had been affixed to the Grffindor noticeboard, so large it covered everything else on it — the lists of secondhand spellbooks for sale, the regular reminders of school rules from Argus Filch, the Quidditch team training timetable, the offers to barter certain Chocolate Frog Cards for others, the Weasleys' latest advertisement for testers, the dates of the Hogsmeade weekends and the lost and found notices. (I had personally put that up there for them) The new sign was printed in large black letters and there was a highly official-looking seal at the bottom beside a neat and curly signature.

BY ORDER OF THE HIGH INQUISITOR OF HOGWARTS

All student organisations, societies, teams, groups and clubs are henceforth disbanded.

An organisation, society, team, group or club is hereby defined as a regular meeting of three or more students.

Permission to re-form may be sought from the High Inquisitor

(Professor Umbridge).

No student organisation, society, team, group or club may exist

without the knowledge and approval of the High Inquisitor.

Any student found to have formed, or to belong to, an organisation, society, team, group or club

that has not been approved by the High Inquisitor will be expelled.

The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-four.

Signed: Dolores Jane Umbridge, High Inquisitor

"What you she can't do that!" I shout frustrated. There could only be one reason that this decree was made. She knows. But how? I didn't think anyone at the meeting would fess up this soon. But then again Hermione chose the worst place to hold the meeting. Who knows who overheard our conversation. I looked around and saw Draco coming done in his Quidditch robes with his broom for our practice. I marched over there and dragged him to the board.

"What is this!" I point at it angry. "She can't really do that can she? Because if she can that means we can't play Quidditch!" He read the new decree.

"Well then let's go ask." He said pushing past me and towards the door.

"What?" I say following him, "Ask her what?"

"To reform the team," he said like it was obvious, "The decree says that we must have her permission. So let's go get it."

"What if she says no?"

"She won't say no to Slytherin prefects. We're practically her favorites." I mean he wasn't exactly wrong. We made our way up to Umbridges office. I knocked on the door before hearing a high pitched "come in!". I opened the door and headed into her office with Draco.

"What brings you here?" She said with her sweet voice and forced smile. I opened my mouth to ask her about the decree and Quidditch and maybe give her a piece of my mind about these stupid decree's when Draco push me behind him and started speaking.

"Well High Inquisitor, we were wondering if we may reform the Slytherin Quidditch team?" He says, she gives another smile and with her shrilly voice says: