001, the start of it all.

lilia rind is laying on the carpet floor reading her book, her father grabbed her elbow. "get up, we have to go." she looked at him. "why!?" she shouted. "quit with the tone and get in the damn car." he said, she walked outside and saw a walking dead person she opened the door to the back and jumped in. she looked at the ground not speaking. she didn't care enough to.

they are in the car with her mother and older brother jordan rind who is fourteen. "mom what is happening?" jordan asked confused. "nothing you'll be fine." their mother says with a sigh. they drive for a good amount of time but with the fear lilia was going though it felt like hours. they soon find a convenient store and this is where it gets bad.

lilias mom is a bad person but neither of the children notice they just think it's normal, they weren't aloud to other people often, she thought it was normal to get hit when her parents got just a little bit too drunk, she thought it was normal to count the years until you were 18, she thought it was normal to do all this, but it wasn't, it just wasn't.

when they got out of the car to see the convenient store, they saw a walker near a pole, they still have no weapons or anything so they just left it. jordan was in the store trying to find valuable supplies, to this day lily doesn't know why he went in alone. maybe they just dudn't know. while lilia was with her mom, she wasn't talking just kind of standing there. she suddenly heard a scream, a very familiar scream, she ran to the store her hair flowing in the wind she was running so quick.

she saw her big brother that she loved so much with bites all over him. she sees the weird dead alive things she ran to get a knife, she didn't know what else to do, she grabbed it and stabbed the thing into the heart, lungs, then jumped up and stabbed the head. it fell back, and so does she but the other way she starts to cry partly because she couldn't help her brother and that she just killed a person. "please survive my lovely sister, I love you so much... bye" jordan says.

she let out a loud sob and her mom runs to her she analyzes her almost dead son. she stabs the young teenager in the heart. lilia looks at her with a confused, angry, sad, mortified look, and she runs she just screams as loud as possible just like always. then she sees her father dying slowly and painfully, her father one of the only people who cared about her, dying on the ground. she just sobbed, how else would she handle it? lilia could barely breathe she was feeling so much. what just happened?

"i-i love you my amazing d- daughter stay safe." her father uses his last energy to say.

"dad what happened to you?" she cried choking on her tears "your mother?" he says then his eyes close. lilias mother comes out, grabs her and they run as quickly as possible.

so much just happened, that was an understatement really, she had just seen the two people who even slightly cared for her die, she didn't know how exactly she took it all in, maybe just adrenaline. she was traumatized, she sat still in the backseat of the car, thinking about her entire life, and thinking about what her father said "your mother" what's that mean?

"you good, kid?" her mother penny said to break the silence. lily wasn't trying to make small talk.

"get out" her mother said. her mom hit the breaks, jumped out of the car, sprinted to the back, and grabbed lilia by the collar. lily was confused, but she doesn't want to fight at this moment. she just lets it happen. She was feeling every single emotion and she's struggling to handle it. it's been 2 months since it started and they didn't notice for that long, how?

she sat there alone for a good while she didn't know what to think, she didn't know how much more she could take, all the little weak 7 year old could do was cry, so that's what she did, until it hurt to cry more.

authors note:
This is so fast paced but I've never written a book before and i've been perfecting this story for MONTHS, i like it a ton tbh. btw my name is teagan i'm in middle school and i suck at writing but it's fun that's chapter one, thank you for reading :)

im looking back at this (i'm much farther now) teagan what tf is this?

688 words

"you and i, we were born to die."

-lana del rey

(don't ask why i chose this, idk)