Chapter 22

"What am I looking at here?"

When I first hear Ashton's voice, I mumble, "Shut up Ashton."

I feel strong arms around me and a chest against my cheek so I snuggle closer with a smile. "Hey Lukey."

"Sam."

Instantly I snap up in surprise, throwing the arms off of me. I look down to see Michael. I catch Ashton standing at the foot of the bed. The clock next to the bed reads three in the morning.

"Ashton, this is not what it looks like," I stumble over my words, tripping out of bed and searching for my shirt.

"Shit," I hear Michael mumble from the bed.

"It's not what it looks like? Because to me it looks like you two-."

"Don't say it!" I shout. I pull my shirt down over my head and stand up. "We didn't."

"How can I trust you?" Ashton questions. "How can I trust YOU?!" He points at Michael, who is also stumbling out of the bed.

"Ashton we just fell asleep. We were drunk. Nothing happened," I insist.

Ashton folds his arms. "And what's his excuse?"

"I was drunk, Ash. And we didn't...fuck. We just were laying together."

"And her clothes?"

I shake my head. "Ashton, I have no idea."

He shakes his head too. "No. Don't lie to me. Maybe you didn't fuck, but something happened. Between you two."

I glance at Michael. He glances at me too. His eyes are full of everything I saw before, the feelings, the adoration. But when he turns back to Ashton, he guards his expression. But I know what I saw. "Ashton, try to understand-."

"Understand what?!" Ashton exclaims. I wince, never once hearing Ashton truly raise his voice like this. "You told me nothing would happen from your little crush. It wouldn't escalate. You wouldn't even tell her. And now this?"

I shake my head. "Ashton please-."

Ashton groans. "Luke is going to find out. You CAN'T do this!"

"Don't tell him and he will never find out," Michael insists.

"But he has to know! His girlfriend is cheating on him with his best friend. I can't stand by!" Ashton yells.

"Ashton stop yelling, please," I whine, my eyes starting to become slick with tears. "You can't tell him."

He glances over at me with a small disapproving look. "Please get some shorts on. It's distracting."

I blush, fumbling for my shorts somewhere on the hotel floor. As I pull them on and rebutton them, Michael is walking over to Ashton. "Ashton. You can't tell him. This was all a one time thing. It won't happen again."

If it weren't for the crack in his voice, I would have believed him. But I don't. And neither does Ashton. "Don't you fucking lie. It will keep happening. Don't act like I'm stupid."

"I'm not acting like you're stupid. I just am trying to convince you not to tell Luke," Michael replies sharply.

"Is it going to continue?" Ashton inquires.

Michael hesitates. He looks over at me and I pinch my lips together, afraid to say anything. He doesn't look back at Ashton, instead his eyes on me when he says, "I can't let this go, Ash. I can't let Luke have her."

I'm not going to cry. I'm not going to cry. I'm not going to cry.

Ashton's eyes are still hard but his face softens a little. He hears the pain in Michael's voice just like I do. "Michael. I can't...it's just so wrong. I knew this would happen. As soon as you told me yesterday I knew this would happen. I can't-."