Chapter 25

The next day is hard. The bus is unusually quiet and the atmosphere is thick with untold lies. Calum and Luke are keeping a secret and Michael, Ashton and I are keeping a secret. It's one big awkward moment. No matter what I'm doing, I can feel at least four eyes following me. Michael is protectively watching me to make sure Luke doesn't drag me off to fuck me and Luke is watching me to make sure I'm not making a move on any of his friends since I'm his property. I feel Calum's eyes dart to me some times, even though I'm not supposed to know why. Ashton keeps flicking between me and Michael, wondering about us. I feel trapped underneath everyone's gaze. Any conversation between anyone is quick and always fades out after a short time.

Everyone is on edge. And no one knows why, really. Everyone assumes their secrets are safe. So why does everyone seem like someone is going to approach them about theirs?

Once on my way to the bunks, I brush my shoulder with Michael's, in a way that would seem an accident to Luke. Michael and I lock eyes and it's hard to look away, but we have to because Luke is watching me still.

I push into the bunk area. Calum is there.

And he's on my bunk.

"Cal. Could you move?" I ask him, yawning a little.

"Why? Not get any sleep last night, Samantha?" Calum asks, eyebrow raised.

I frown. "What do you-?"

"You were up last night."

I shake my head, pressing my lips into a flat line. Calum chuckles. "See, you don't have to lie. I know you were up last night. And Michael or Ashton was up with you. I saw your curtain swishing when I came back from..." He pauses clenching his jaw. "F-from the bathroom."

"And that means nothing. Could've been the AC," I say nonchalantly.

I sit across from him on Michael's bunk, holding back a wince as the smell of him laced in the bunk hits me. I avoid knocking knees with Calum and pull on my blue hair.

He gives me a searching look. "Look, Sam. I just want to know what you were doing up. Lie to me if you have to, but I want you to admit you were up."

I shake my head. "I wasn't up."

He narrows his eyes at me. "Are you...are you hiding something? From me? From Luke? From any of us guys?"

"Calum. You think I could hide a secret? I'm not a good liar," I tell him.

"You could be lying about that," he mutters, leaning closer. "I'm trying to figure you out, Sam. I think there's more to you than Luke knows. And I think someone here knows it."

I try not to make my fear noticeable. I feel cornered. He's going to find out about Michael. He knows. Ashton told him. Or worse; he saw us.

"You could just tell me, Sam. Make it easier."

I consider there to tell him. Ashton knows and he has kept the secret well. Could I trust Calum with that information?

I shrug. "I don't have anything to tell you."

**

"Honestly, I'm surprised Ashton trusts you to stay in our room instead of Luke's after everything."

I flinch a little, thinking about how awful it would be to sleep in Luke's room, knowing what I know. Michael notices my slight discomfort and wraps an arm around my shoulder, pulling me to him.

"You guys..."

We both look up at Ashton, who is standing with his hands in his back pockets, his head tilted as he looks at us. He clicks his tongue. "I think you guys know something. Am I allowed to know?"