Chapter 24

"Sami."

That's my wake up call. Well it's not like I was sleeping but it was my cue that I could actually show that I was awake. I sit up in my bunk and pull away the curtain. Michael is sitting across from me in his bunk, reminding me distantly of another night he had woken me up like this. I lean out and glance back and forth. "Anyone else up?"

He shakes his head. "I don't think so. Ashton just went to bed."

I nod. "Luke and Calum passed out?"

"Totally. Have been for hours."

I switch sides and sit next to him on his bunk. Very tentatively and carefully, Michael's fingers gently press to the outside of my thigh and I sigh, not knowing I was missing his touch until I got it again. "It's been a long day."

He nods, just running his hand back and forth across my leg rhythmically. "Yeah. It has been."

Nothing has actually been addressed yet, but the words that are above our heads weigh down on me. A discussion about this morning. How Luke was very close to...basically...raping me.

"Are you okay?"

I shrug, leaning into him so our shoulders press against each other. Michael's fingers drawing circles on my leg keeps me from breaking down, releasing some of my tension. "I guess."

"I'm so sorry."

I shake my head. "No...it's okay...he's just..."

But I have nothing to say in his defense. I want to have something, anything, to make Luke's behavior seem okay. Normal. But I can't.

"He's just nothing, Sam. What he's doing? It's not okay," Michael says forcefully.

I put my head in my hands and sigh. "I-I know. I'm just still..."

"Shocked?" Michael asks carefully, fingers rubbing my knee.

"Yeah. A little bit," I mumble. "He just seemed like he would never force me into it...I just can't believe...LUKE..."

Michael nods to himself. "Yeah...yeah I know...you deserve so much better."

I peek out from under my fingers at him. He is already looking at me. He probably knows what I want even before I suggest it out loud. "Get my mind off of this, will you?"

"Behind the curtain? Just in case Calum decides he needs to take a shit in the middle of the night?" Michael asks carefully, his arm around my waist now.

I tilt my head. "Can I trust you?"

"Can you?"

I think about it and remember how he stopped me. He didn't want us to go too far too fast. Because he cares about how I will feel about it later on. He doesn't want me to regret anything. He wouldn't try anything. He's proven that he won't because even though he had the chance, he didn't take it.

Of course I can trust him.

We both crawl behind the curtain and I sit back in his bunk, my back is pressed against the back wall of it. He closes the curtain carefully before sitting back by me. "You okay?"

I nod. "I'll be a lot better if you kiss me right now."

He agrees by brushing his soft lips against mine, gripping me gently around my waist. But that's all he gives me before pulling away with a smile on his face.

I hit his shoulder and pull his face back down to meet mine. "Stop it..." I mumble gently into his mouth. He keeps the smirk on his face as he keeps kissing me, his hand on my waist. His tongue drags gently across my bottom lip and I open my mouth. I fall back, allowing him to put some of his weight on me. He does his best to hold himself up enough not to crush me by keeping his knees braced on either side of my hips.