Chapter 29

I woke up alone.

My first reaction was fear. Fear that I had dreamed up Michael and Luke and Calum and Ashton. Fear that I was back at home, about to face another day of work and night of abuse. Fear that I am, once again, alone in the world.

But when I take a moment to take in my surroundings, I know where I am. The hotel in Detroit.

My second reaction is relief. Of course it wasn't a dream. I was free of my dad's hold. For now.

I look at the moved sheets next to where I lay and remember I'm not supposed to be waking up alone.

I grab a pillow. I throw it across the room.

And it hits Ashton right in the face.

I hear a muffled "SHIT" before the pillow is moved and the curly haired boy sits up. He looks around. "What the fuck?"

He sees me sitting up in me and Michael's bed and gives me a rude hand gesture. "What was that for?"

"Where's Michael?" I ask him.

He plops back down in the sea of comforters, sheets, and pillows he is drowning in. "How the hell am I supposed to know? He's your boyfriend."

Suddenly he sits up again. "Shit what time is it?"

I check my phone. "8. Why?"

He bursts free of the bed. "Shit I forgot to set an alarm shit!"

"What? An alarm for what?" I ask.

"We have an interview for some talk show. And shit, I forgot," he curses, struggling to find his clothes.

"What time were you supposed to leave by?"

He pulls a grey tee over his head and tugs it down over his bare midriff (which I hadn't noticed until now). "8."

I laugh. "Oh my god, how funny. Well that sucks. Better hurry along."

He glares at me as he pulls a pair of black jeans over his boxers and buttons them. "I hate you."

"Right back at you, Irwin," I tease.

He practically runs out the hotel door, slamming it shut behind him. I laugh to myself like an idiot when I notice his phone still laying on his bed. And I laugh even harder when Ashton comes back through the room, grabs his phone, and runs back out, slamming the door again.

I sit up and slide out of bed, my hair an absolute mess.

Well I'm alone today. For the most part.

I take my time in the shower, melting away a lot of worries. I take my time doing makeup and braiding my hair back. I sift through my suitcase, my towel the only thing covering me.

I notice one shirt in my suitcase that's not like the others: Luke's Green Day tee. I wrinkle my nose and grab it out, tossing it across the room.

Memories. Ew.

I just pull out a plain black tee and a pair of dark blue jeans. Not impressing anyone. So I just need to be casual.

I change in the room since I don't have to worry about being interrupted. I take a quick glance in the mirror.

Not pretty, but not really ugly. In between. Average.

I go find my phone on the bed. I notice a missed text.

Michael: there's a cooler on the roof of the tour bus. with a little bit of fireball. know you like that. if you want to grab some on your day alone today.