Chapter 3

"Oh my god."

My mind is swimming after draining the bottle of fireball. Luke looks down at me, amused. I'm not drunk, that much I know. But it definitely is starting to numb my senses.

"Like it?" Luke asks me gently.

I nod. "Can I...have another one?"

I hiccup and he laughs. "I don't know. Wouldn't want you to get drunk. You still have a friend to find, am I correct?"

I frown. "Oh yeah. Emma. Where is that bitch anyways?"

Luke laughs standing up. He holds out a hand and I grab it, letting him pull me to my feet. "Here, you call her while I go bring another shot over to Michael like he asked."

"I'll come with," I let him know, taking my phone from my hand bag and clicking on Emma's ID.

I follow Luke as the phone rings a couple times. She doesn't pick up and Luke leans against the wall again, watching me with slight interest. I sigh, clicking off my phone. "God, I will never find her. Hopefully she knows her way back, because i don't know how much later I can stay here."

Luke frowns. "You're leaving?"

I shrug. "I don't know. This...isn't my style of music...and I don't like this dress and these heels kill my feet. The only good parts about tonight were you and Fireball."

Luke laughs. "If you didn't like the music, I could've requested something else."

I roll my eyes. But I feel a hand on my bare back, cold against my skin and I go slamming hard into Luke. He catches me again, thankfully and his arms are wrapped protectively around me.

"And it's crowded in here," I mumble.

He chuckles, smoothing my hair from my face before letting me go. "I'll request a song. What do you want?"

"I like One Direction, Ed Sheeran and Green Day. Surprise me," I tell him with a smile.

"Okay. So if you like the song, will you stay with me?" He asks.

"No promises," I tease.

And he's gone into the crowd. I lean back and glance over at Michael, who is biting some random girl's neck. I am so glad Luke isn't that abrasive.

"Be careful not to let Luke drink too much. He'll be like Clifford with you."

I spin around to see Ashton next to me, sipping out of a fireball bottle. "What?"

"He's really...poisonous for a girl, especially for a good girl, like I know you are," he says. "Be careful. He's being cautious now because he's trying to keep himself under control. But he will eventually screw up."

I don't know how to answer that, so instead I point at his fireball and murmur, "Are you gonna finish that?"

He shrugs before handing it to me. "Knock yourself out. Getting yourself drunk could work too. He'd never take advantage of you while you were drunk. He's good like that."

That phrase 'take advantage' makes me shudder. Luke wouldn't take advantage of me. Or would he? I hardly know the guy. Less than a few hours. But I want to know him. More than I've ever wanted anything in my whole life.

"I can't promise that tonight isn't going to be a one night stand, either," Ashton adds as I take a swig of the fireball. "He doesn't date."

"He doesn't seem like one of those guys," I mutter, eyeing the bottle instead of making eye contact with Ashton.

Ashton shrugs. "Well, I definitely think you're something different. I mean, you aren't a fan, which has something going for you."

"Luke mentioned you were in a band. Are you guys really that popular? He tried making it seem like you guys suck," I inquire.

Ashton whips the fireball from my hand, sipping it before handing it back. "We aren't all that great, but yeah, we aren't all that bad either. The girls love Luke. That's why he doesn't date. He doesn't want to end up dating some fake bitch. You get it?"

I nod, thankfully drawing out another long drink. "Yeah. But if you're as popular as you say, I probably won't be around long anyways, since I'm not all that great. He can have anyone, so picking me is a long shot."

Why did I just say that? I eye the bottle again and frown. I am not drunk. Then why did I just pour that all out on a guy I just met?

"You aren't drunk," Ashton reassures me. "I would know. I'm just a very trustworthy person."

I shrug. I might never see him again. And if I do, I do trust him for some odd reason. "Yeah alright. But Luke...he's not a virgin?"

Ashton shakes his head. "Not by a long shot. Like i said, with most girls, especially fans, he has these one nights stands and never sees them or even remembers them again."

I shiver, folding my arms. "With every girl he meets?"

Ashton holds up his hands. "I don't know. So far, yes. I don't see how you could be any different to him. It's a warning. In case he doesn't stay long."

I want to reply, but that's when I hear Luke shout, "Samantha?"

I turn away from Ashton, the whole conversation pushed to the back of my mind. "Over here Luke!"

He pops out of the crowd and just the sight of him suddenly makes my heart pound. Why am I suddenly more attracted to him? I just learned he is a guy who doesn't stay long. I can't get attached. He smiles, and strides over to me.

"The DJ said next song. I hope you like it. Are you into slow songs or fast?" Luke questions.

"Either," I reply with a shrug.

"Great!" Luke says happily.

"What song is it?" I ask him.

He puts his hand back on my waist, fitting there nearly perfectly. "It's a surprise. You'll just have to wait."

I groan. "Come on Luke. Just tell me!"

He shakes his head, his grin teasing and I roll my eyes. "Fine. You suck."

As we wait, I press even closer to Luke. "So your band..."

He chuckles. "Are you really that curious about my band?"

I smile and nod. "Of course I am. What music do you play? How did you start? I want to know the band's story. I want to know your story."

I bite my lip after I say that. Why DID I say that? I wasn't going to and then it came out. Jesus I suck at this.

But he just smirks. "You don't want to know about me."

I furrow my eyebrows. "Of course I do. What makes you think I wouldn't?"

He opens his mouth but just then he breaks into a smile. "Listen! It's the song I picked for you."

I tilt my head a little, training my ears to the beat and the sound. "Who is this? I've never heard this song before."

He shrugs. "They aren't that great. But they have a few good songs. I think they opened for one direction, but I could be wrong."

I nod, faintly remembering the words to the song from last night. "Yeah. I think I remember now. They weren't all that bad, I just didn't know who they were. Do you know what this song is called?"

Luke thinks about it before saying, "I think it's called Long Way Home."

I smile. I do like this song, the lyrics, the beat, the voices of the band. "It's an awesome song. I might just buy it."

Luke chuckles. "Would you like to dance?"

I fold my arms. "I don't know..."

He rolls his eyes and suddenly I'm in his arms again. His arms are wrapped right above my waist and I curl my arms around his neck. His expression changes as we move to the song. I am chilled to the bone as his lips brush against my ear. "After this song, would you wanna get out of here? With me?"

A shiver of, not cold or fear, but anticipation, rolls through me and his arms around me tighten. When I don't answer right away, he kisses right under my ear and I clench my jaw to keep from sighing at the pleasure of his cool lips on my burning skin.

I hardly hear the word pass my lips. "Yes."