Chapter 34

"Sami! Oh my god! You actually are home! Oh! And you must be Mr. Clifford!"

I bite my lip nervously as my dad hugs me for the first time in years. It's like hugging a stranger. "Hey Greg."

"You are Greg Evans. I've heard so much about you," Michael says. What the fuck is this sophisticated front he's putting on? It's almost comical.

My father smiles. SMILES. What?! He offers his hand. "Are...are you and my daughter...?"

Michael nods, shaking his hand. "If it's alright, sir. I have to say, I am a little bit older-."

"How much?" Greg asks a little tentatively.

"3 years, sir."

Greg relaxes a little. "Oh that isn't much at all. And it is excusable because you brought her home to me. Safe, too."

Michael grins brightly. "I'm very glad you approve sir."

My father nods. "Well come in. Sami, you...remember your way around?"

I glare at him. "I've been gone two months not two years. I remember my own home."

Greg nods. "Right. Well..."

I pull Michael by his arm into my house. And I'm a little bit shocked.

It's CLEAN. Like, no wrappers, beer cans, whisky bottles, dirty dishes, clothes, any of the usual clutter.

"What-what the hell?" I announce.

Michael grips my waist. "Are you okay?"

I nod slowly. "Yeah I'm just...SURPRISED. I mean when I left, you could hardly see the floor! It's..."

"Clean?" Greg asks. "Yeah. I, uh...took the liberty to picking up around here. It was a mess..."

I glare at him. "Oh yeah? It's been a mess for like three years."

Greg pinches his lips tight. "Look, Sam. I know you have a grudge against me. And for good reason. But I'm changed. I'm here for you and your sisters."

I scoff. "Can we talk about this later? I just got here. Don't chase me away right away."

"I'm sorry, she said she was going to behave when she got here sir," Michael says a little sharply.

He glances down at me and I scowl. "Whatever. Okay. Team up. See if I care."

Greg turns pink in the cheeks. "Samantha-."

"No, Greg, stop. I don't want to hear it," I snap.

I pull away from Michael and climb the stairs. The familiar path to my room. When I reach my room, I'm almost culture shocked. It's been a while. It looks the same as I left it.

"Baby girl."

I hardly spare him a glance. "So, you're done playing buddy-buddy with 'Mr. Evans'?"

Michael touches the small of my back. "I was being polite. So he'd like me."

"You've NEVER been polite to anyone. Sir?! Please it made me want to puke," I snap.

He sighs. "Listen, I know you have a grudge on him. For all he did to you. But he really cares about what you think. He wants you to forgive him. And accept that he wants to be better."

I don't respond.

"Sam, you're being childish."

I glare at him. "Oh yeah? You weren't the one who had to endure two years without a father. Three years of an abusive father who didn't give a damn if you live or die. You really want to accuse me of being childish? Then you deal with what I dealt with!"