chapter twenty-three

The drive from Johannesburg to North West felt longer than it actually was.

Thuso and I were silent the whole way, the actions from earlier long forgotten, now replaced with dread.

My mother refused to explain why my dad was admitted, so we were still in the dark about everything. But from the doom in her voice, I knew it was not good. And when I tried calling my other family members, none of them answered, as if they had some sort of agreement not to be in communication with us.

At the hospital, it was the receptionist who led us to the right direction. In the waiting area of the 8th floor, I saw almost all of my close relatives, including my in-laws. I rushed to my mother's arms, who readily caught me in time and hugged me tight against her chest. Her familiar scent gave me some comfort.

"What's going on mama?" I asked her, cheeks wet with tears as I pulled apart from her.

"The doctor's say it's a heart attack," my mom dropped the bomb. My mouth was ajar, shock all over my face, including my entire body. Heart attack? But daddy was as healthy as a horse.

"But how?" I asked, confused. From what I know, heart attacks were caused by things like high blood pressure or diabetes, and last time I checked, daddy didn't have neither.

"According to the doctor's, your dad has cholesterol. Apparently, there was a buildup of fat and cholesterol which blocked blood flow to the heart, and now that the damage has been done, and it won't be easy to get back to normal," she explained.

"How's daddy? Did you see him?" I asked, my worry only intensifying the more my mom spoke.

"He's still being tested, they want to prevent as much damage as they can. Once the doctor's are done, we will be allowed to see him," mom said. She sounded stronger, at least stronger than she did on the phone, which was over two hours ago.

Shaking my head, while silently praying to God for my dad's recovery, I returned to the safety and comfort of my husband's arms, who was sat to the side, next to my father in-law. He smiled at softly, and I was grateful that he didn't expect me to give him a proper greeting in my time of worry.

"It's going to be okay," Thuso murmured above my head, where he was resting his chin. For some reason, I believed him.

Although I was in pain, I could notice that my family was glad to see me seeking comfort in the arms of the man they had once been worried about.

•••

Of course I couldn't go to work the next day, on the last day of school. Thankfully, I had submitted everything, so I wasn't missing out on anything. The principal wished my father good health, and wished me a good festive season.

December was upon us and yet here we were, worried about my father's health. Unfortunately, my father was still in a coma. The doctor said he could remain in the coma for hours or even weeks. Right now, we were just hoping he returned to us soon rather than later.

"Baby, let's go home so you can freshen up," Thuso suggested when he came in later that day. He was dressed in different clothes from yesterday. He had left in the early hours of the morning, leaving me behind because I refused to leave my father's side.

"No, I want to be here when he wakes up," I said, my voice, albeit weak, was firm.

Thuso knew better than to argue, so he excused himself to go get me something to eat and returned with a to go cup of ice coffee and donuts for both my mother and I, who had also refused to leave her husband's side.

I didn't have the appetite to eat the donuts, but I gladly drank the coffee because I needed the energy. People came in and out throughout the day, but my dad remained in the coma even after I cried, begged and prayed that he return to us.