ʙʀᴏᴛʜᴇʀꜱ

I wish I could have a simple life. One where my tea gets cold because I am busy looking out the window. Curse under my breath because I burnt dinner. Have blisters under my feet due to my brand new shoes. I miss normalcy. 

I miss the supermarket and the doctors. I miss spending my days on the couch, snuggled into a blanket. I miss Glenn coming home from work and complaining about his customers. I miss going to work, the feeling of a freshly printed paycheck rubbing against my fingers as I hold on for deer life, hoping I don't lose it before I get into the bank. 

In the box car it is dark. Only little shadows can be seen, other peoples shoes scuffing around, scared at our arrival. But we're scared too, my heart pounds for the first time in days, not because of our circumstances, but at the thought of Glenn being in here too. More scuffling breaks through the silence before a whisper speaks up, sending shivers down my spine. 

Beth's long ponytail swings even in the darkness as she closes the distance between us. Wrapping her arms tightly around Carl, a wide smile forms on both of their faces. Beth's eyes scan over our faces as she takes a step from the teenage boy, dropping in shock when she reaches Daryl's. 

Daryl's face doesn't change but instead loosens, as if he finally unclenched his jaw. He gives her a side hug and she giggles, whispering something about missing him. Michonne smiles at Beth and she smiles back, quickly saying hello to Rick as well. 

When she finally reaches me, a huge grin forms on her face. "Scarlet?" Hearing her say my name is good enough for me to smile as well, reaching my arms up and over her shoulders, squeezing her tightly. My heart aches as she lets go, images of Hershel flashing through my mind. Does she know? 

"Happy birthday" She giggles, pointing somewhere into the darkness. From that darkness comes a familiar face, taking two quick steps towards me, I can already see the tears streaming down his face. Glenn is here. 

I gasp, whispering his name as if he's a ghost and he nods, loose strands of his hair swing across his forehead. We don't hug for a moment though, almost too shocked. Instead we stand in front of each other, our eyes wide and our mouths even wider. I didn't expect to see him again, I guess he didn't expect to see me either. 

"Man did I miss you" I laugh, punching him in the shoulder. He gasps, clutching his shoulder with a smile. And suddenly, it's almost like everything is okay again. Normal even. 

---

After reuniting with Maggie, Glenn, Beth, Bob, and Sasha, we meet new people. One of them stands next to me, tall and bulky, his shoulders push against my arm and I look up. He's a red head, told us his name is Abraham, and he's been cautiously watching his friends every move. I can understand why he's been watching the girl so closely, but why the guy with the mullet? 

Rick stands on the other side of the circle, explaining how we're gonna surprise attack them. Something about how they messed with the wrong people. Abraham grins at this comment, his arm muscles flexing. Rolling my eyes, they connect with Sasha next to him and she sends me a wink, also rolling her eyes. 

"What was your name again?" The giant asks, his voice booms against the metal. I can feel Daryl shift his head towards our direction from over here and somehow, I feel bad. Guilt eats away at me most of the time but knowing Daryl is hurting because of me is a new whole feeling. One that I don't want to feel for much longer.